In Monster Hunter Rise you’ll have a trusty Palico by your side. You get to customise your first Palico from the get-go, and one of the most important choices is its support type. To help you decide, we’ve detailed each of the 5 Support Types in MH Rise, and will take a look at whether you can change this later on.
Read More: Changing Your Appearance
MH Rise Palico Support Types
There are 5 different Support types to choose from when setting up your first Palico. They are as follows:
- Healer - Focus on healing effects.
- Assist - Sets Traps to ensnare and damage monsters that you are engaging.
- Fight - Combat focused.
- Bombardier - Sets and detonates explosives.
- Gathering - Sniffs out collectibles.
Take care in which of these you pick. We’ll go into more detail on this later on in this guide.
If you're looking for more help with Monster Hunter Rise you'll want to visit our MH Rise Walkthrough. You'll find all of our guides on the game in one handy place.
Can You Change Your Palico’s Support Type?
Once you have set a Support Type for a Palico you cannot change it. If you’re looking for a different kind of support in the field, head to the Buddy Hub and recruit a new one.
Every Palico you recruit comes with a particular set of moves and skills. Here's a list of the Palico Moves available in Monster Hunter Rise:
- Rousing Roar - Lets loose a fearsome roar, empowering Buddies and hunters.
- Whirlwind Assault - Spins around using their weapon to create a whirlwind, then rams into monsters.
- Power Drum - Sounds a drum that raises attack and defense for both hunters and Buddies.
- Fleet-foot Feat - Draws a monster's attention, skillfully evades their attack, then mounts a counterattack.
- Furr-ious - Your Palico becomes fur-ious. In this state, their attack power increases drastically.
- Herbacious Healing - Places a restorative powers that continuously heals nearby allies.
- Mega Boomerang - Hurls a gargantuan boomerang based on weapon attack type at foes.
- Vase of Vitality - Places a vase that heals various status ailments. Stand in the smoke to receive its effects.
- Shock Purr-ison - Sets up a shock trap that stops large monsters from moving
- Health Horn - Greatly recovers Buddy and player health.
- Felyne Wyvernblast - Fires Palico-sized Wyvernblast shells at monsters, triggering explosions when they strike.
- Camouflage - Your Palico conceals themselves temporarily, preventing them from being targetted by monsters.
- Shock Tripper - Drops a lingering electric field that inflicts Thunderblight on monsters within it.
- Giga Barrel Bombay - Rushes at a foe with a Giga Barrel Bomb
- Felyne Silkbind - Fires movement-hindering Ironsilk at large monsters, using a Palico-sized ballista.
- Go, Fight, Win - Reduces hunters' stamina loss while your Palico is dancing.
- Poison Purr-ison - Sets a trap that immobilizes large monsters and inflicts them with poison.
- Endemic Life Barrage - Fires endemic life at monsters from a ballista. Results vary according to launched creatures.
Which Support type to Choose
If you are new to the Monster Hunter series, we recommend that you choose the Healer Support Type for your Palico. This will give you extra healing, sometimes exactly when you need it most. More experienced players will likely want to go for the Assist or Gathering types, as they won’t need as much direct combat support while hunting a monster. To learn about different types of traps, visit our Monster Hunter Rise Capture guide.
That’s all you need to know about Support Types in Monster Hunter Rise. For more on the game be sure to check out our guide on finding Eroded Skeleton. Once you’re done with that, give yourself a refresher with our MH Rise Beginners Guide.