After previous rumours suggested it, Square Enix and Eidos-Montreal just announced Guardians of the Galaxy at Square Enix Presents E3 2021. Releasing on multiple platforms, it's an eclectic mix of Marvel characters and a self-described underdog story, following a rag-tag band of heroes on their journey to save the galaxy.
Here's everything we know about Guardians of the Galaxy.
More dialogue than a Deus Ex game? - July 6th
In a new interview with Game Informer, Senior Gameplay Director Patrick Fortier said that the Guardians title will offer twice as much dialogue as a Deus Ex game.
"I think we have twice as much dialogue in this game than a Deus Ex game. They say a lot of stuff. Sometimes it's fun, we're testing the game and we're putting the controller down because we're writing some notes or whatever and then they'll start [being like] 'yo, remember that time on...' and 'oh yeah, that was a fun night'. You'll start hearing anecdotes or things about how they met. The more time you give the game, the more it's going to give back - it's that kind of a game."
Guardians of the Galaxy Overview
Here's the official description:
Fire up a wild ride across the cosmos with a fresh take on Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy . In this third-person action-adventure game, you are Star-Lord, and thanks to your bold yet questionable leadership, you have persuaded an oddball crew of unlikely heroes to join you. Some jerk (surely not you) has set off a chain of catastrophic events, and only you can hold the unpredictable Guardians together long enough to fight off total interplanetary meltdown. Use Element Blasters, tag-team beat downs, jet boot-powered dropkicks, nothing’s off-limits. If you think it’s all going to plan, you’re in for a world of surprises, with the consequences of your actions guaranteed to keep the Guardians on their toes. In this original Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy story, you’ll cross paths with powerful new beings and unique takes on iconic characters, all caught in a struggle for the galaxy’s fate. It’s time to show the universe what you’re made of. You got this. Probably.
While you play as Star-Lord only, you can take on the powers of other Guardians. Eidos-Montreal promises a dynamic world that reacts to your choices and actions as well.
Is Guardians Of The Galaxy Part Of Marvel's Avengers?
Guardians of the Galaxy Release Date
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is launching on October 26, 2021.
Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer
Check out the Guardians of the Galaxy E3 2021 trailer:
Square Enix and Eidos-Montreal also published an extensive deep-dive into the making of the game.
Guardians of the Galaxy Gameplay
As part of their Square Enix Presents conference, we also got an extended look at gameplay, which you can find below.
Key Gameplay Features
- Lead the Guardians of the Galaxy – You play as Star-Lord, so nothing’s off-limits with your bold combat style, from Element Blasters and jet boot-powered dropkicks to tag-team beat-downs. With the Guardians fighting at your side, call the shots and overwhelm your opponents with signature attacks. Meanwhile, the consequences of your decisions will range from light-hearted to downright unexpected as your journey unfolds.
- Offline Play – Enabled.
- Cast and Crew – We know two members, Star-Lord and Gamora
- The Main Antagonist – Thanos is involved in the backstory of the game, but the main antagonist seems to be Lady Hellbender and her monstrous pet.
- Open-World – Not open-world, but most likely Hub-World.
- All-New Story – Your newly-formed band of legendary misfits is set to save the universe in this fresh but faithful take on the Guardians of the Galaxy. Somehow, you set off a chain of catastrophic events, leading to a wild ride through mind-blowing worlds inhabited by iconic and original Marvel characters. Turn up the all-star 80’s mixtape and get ready to kick it.
- From Misfits to Heroes – You’re the only thing holding the unpredictable Guardians together, so you’ll have to get better at this leadership thing fast. With this offbeat approximation of a family at your side, there will be tears and laughter as you set about tearing into the cosmos together. Whatever’s waiting around the next corner, you know it’s going to be a riot.
Guardians of the Galaxy Platforms
Guardians of the Galaxy will release on:
- PlayStation 4
- PlayStation 5
- Xbox One
- Xbox Series X|S (Not Game Pass)
- PC (Guardians of the Galaxy System Requirements for PC)
- GeForce Now
- Nintendo Switch
As of now, it will not be coming to Google Stadia.