Many players have experienced issues with console commands in Valheim since an update was released on the 23rd of March. The update mostly involved bug fixes but created a problem for many players as it seemed their ability to enter cheats had pretty much disappeared. If you're unable to access them and wanting to get it back then we've got you covered.
Read More: Valheim: Best PC Settings
Valheim Console Commands Fix
If you've updated Valheim since the 23rd of March you'll likely be a little confused if you attempt to access the console command. Usually, you press F5 and hey presto, cheat to your heart's content but not anymore. Don't stress, your game isn't corrupt or broken, the devs just changed the way that players access cheats. Below you can find the notes regarding to this change:
- Ingame console disabled by default (add launch argument "-console" to enable)
- The console command for enabling developer/debug commands has been changed to “devcommands” from “imacheater” and a warning message has been added.
So, console commands do still exist but you'll have to enable them first, do so with the below steps:
- Head to your Steam library and find Valheim, right-click it.
- Select Properties then the General tab.
- Type “-console” (without the quotes) into the text box below Launch Options.
- Launch Valheim.
- As you would previously, press F5 to launch the console commands./
- Now instead of typing "imacheater" enter "devcommands" (without the quotes).
After following these steps you can enter cheats as you normally would before the update. You can find a list of some of the most useful Valheim cheats by clicking here. Although there is no punishment to cheating in the game, there is now a warning that you won't get the same experience without cheating.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Valheim page.