If you want to play with friends in Valheim, you'll need a dedicated server! And if your friends aren't online, you'll need a server to call your own. Not to worry, here we'll take you through how to setup a dedicated server, laid out simply and quickly for you to make use of.
How to Setup A Dedicated Server in Valheim
To setup a dedicated server in Valheim, you'll need to go through several steps outside of the game. Simply do the following:
- Download the Valheim Dedicated Server Application by Iron Gate. It shoudl be in your Steam Library, added when you bought Valheim itself. If you can't see it, check the Tools section in your library.
- Head to the below directory in your computer (the location may very depending on where you have Steam installed):
- Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Valheim dedicated server
- Find the “start_headless_server.bat” file and edit it in Notepad (keep a copy of the file in case anything goes wrong).
- Find line 7 starting with “start valheim_server…”
- You properties you'll want to edit are below:
- -name “My Server”
- Enter a server name.
- -port 2456
- This will be the default port but you'll want to chat it to the port you're using for Port Forwarding. You can check which port you're using by logging into your router and selecting the Port Forwarding setting.
- -world “Dedicated”
- The name for your world.
- -password “Secret”
- The server password. Leave it blank to make an open server.
- -name “My Server”
- Save the file once you've made changes.
- Boot up the server application and when you see “Game Server Connected” you'll be good to go.
- Bear in mind the whole point of a dedicate server is that your PC is the hub, so it will have to be left turned on.
Admin Console Commands
Below are some admin commands you may find useful, press F5 to open the console:
- Show all available commands
- kick [name/ip/userID]
- Kicks the user
- ban [name/ip/userID]
- Bans the user
- unban [ip/userID]
- Unban the user
- Shows a list of banned users
- Send a ping to the server for latency
- Print system info
Now that's set up properly, learn how to join a dedicated server at our guide here! Or if you're having trouble making the new server show up, check out troubleshooting page here.