One of the biggest drivers behind Valheim’s recent success is the ability to explore a sprawling, procedurally-generated world with friends.
Teaming up with up to 9 other players, you can explore the world of Valheim and together take down Odin’s ancient rivals.
Much like other popular multiplayer-focused games, players in Valheim can set up dedicated servers, which means you and your friends can join the server regardless of who is online. This is ideal for large groups of friends who intend to play together, as it removes the need for a specific host to be online.
Wondering how you can find and join one of these servers? Use the tips below and you’ll be battling your way through Valheim alongside your friends in no time.
How to find and join a dedicated server in Valheim?
Finding a dedicated server is the tricker part, typically set up between small groups of friends and with a player limit of ten, finding a group to join will prove tricky. If you are looking for a dedicated server to join, your best bet is going to be browsing the official Valheim Reddit page. You may find other players looking for people to join their server, or you could even ask if there’s space in any servers.
Joining a dedicated server starts before you open Valheim. Before you start the game, head into Steam and click Steam - View - Servers at the top of your screen.
1. Add a new server to the favourite tab. This will enable you to save the server information, and use it each time you launch Valheim.
2. For the server information, you will need the server IP address, which is a collection of numbers separated by full stops, and then you will need to add the port number which is four digits and should be: 2457. Check with the host beforehand though, as only they can change the port forwarding number.
3. Launch Valheim and boot into the main menu. Bring up the Steam overlay (this defaults to Shift+Tab on most keyboards) and bring up the server page. Choose the server you just saved, and press connect.
4. Depending on the server you join, there may be a password you need to enter, so just make sure you’ve got the password from the person who set up the server before you try to join.
5. That’s it, you’re in. It’s time to explore, Viking.
With the server saved in your favourites, it should be a simple process each time you boot up to play with your friends.
Valheim is the next Viking title to take Steam by storm, there are plenty of plans for the future with the 2021 roadmap. You can even set up a dedicated server and play with your friends in coop! If bosses interest you, there's already four in the game Eikthyr, the Elder, Bonemass and Modor, you'll require plenty of items along the way like the Swamp Key.