The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 is now in development and many are extremely excited for this sequel after Breath of the Wild was arguably one of the best in the franchise. Zelda fans can expect to return to Hyrule with this sequel as it is confirmed to be a direct continuation from Breath of the Wild - a great thing to hear as many will have left the original wanting more.
The announcement about its development came during Nintendo's E3 2019 conference where they showed a small trailer to confirm it will be coming.
When Will Breath Of The Wild 2 Release?
The short answer is that we are unsure. Nintendo have yet to announce a release date or even a year for it - it wouldn't be out of the impossible to believe it wil be coming in 2020 as the game will be a direct sequel set in the same environment as the first Breath of the Wild. With that in mind, the base for the game is very much there and would simply need to be updated and the story implemented.
Breath of the Wild took 6 years to develop and if you've played the game you can understand why because of the sheer mass of content in it. It's a very similar scenario to when Majora's Mask released, a game that was heavily influenced by Ocarina of Time, meaning it only needed 2 years to release.
Without a confirmed date, it leaves Nintendo the opportunity to extend the development time depending on how much they want to revamp and innovate in this sequel. Its been reported that the game has started development because there were so many ideas for the first Breath of the Wild but they could not be fit into the game and wanted to give it a second installment to do so. When you think about it, why couldn't they have just released more DLC? Games have lived for years with regular DLC updates and yet a game that isn't 2.5 years old has had limited amounts to go with it.
What Do We Know About Breath Of The Wild 2?
- According to Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma, there were plans for more DLC in Breath of the Wild. "Initially we were thinking of just DLC ideas," says Anouma. "But then we had a lot of ideas and we said, 'This is too many ideas, let’s just make one new game and start from scratch.'"
- Breath of the Wild 2 will be "Darker" and likely to feature main antagonist Ganondorf being resurrected.
- It's likely we will see the return of the Twili and the Twilight realm. These are the shadow people descended from Hylians who tried to take the power of the Triforce for themselves as seen by the hand wrapped in twisting shapes.
- We may see the return of Zant, who featured in Twilight Princess, serving under Ganondorf. Reddit user ReroFunk found that if you reverse the trailer audio, there are certain notes that echo the music played during your final encounter with Zant. He may have been defeated in Twilight Princess, but he is adamant he'll return through the power of his "god".
- Demise, the demon king, may also return - demise was the final boss in Skyward Sword and the original form of Ganondorf. Once again, Reddit user ReroFunk pointed out that this screenshot in the trailer looks a lot like Demise but could just be a depiction of history.
- Something that can really shake the series up and has certainly been a popular theory from many is that Zelda will be a playable character. This incarnation of Zelda certainly seems like someone that wants to involve herself in the action alongside Link and could become an interesting ally in the story.
- The team developing the game have been inspired by Red Dead Redemption 2, meaning we may well see a lot of mechanics from this game that inspire Breath of the Wild 2.