The Grunthor is one of the most powerful alien creatures in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, a dinosaur monster who comes back for multiple boss fights across the course of the game. We’ll show you how to beat the Grunthor boss fight here, as well as all the best strategies and tips for the battle.
How to Beat the Grunthor Boss Fight in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
To beat the Grunthor boss fight in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, players need to learn how to deal with a melee-focused enemy who loves to come at you aggressively. We’ve laid out a basic strategy and range of tips for you to beat the Grunthor below.
Grunthor Tips and Strategy
- The Grunthor’s most dangerous move is a charge. When its eyes widen suddenly, it’s about to come at you fast for high damage. It’s very hard to run or jump out of its way unless it’s started from far away, so Phantom Dodge out of its path and back up to a safe distance.
- If you’re close to its head, it’ll try and bite at you. This is a quick move with little warning, so you generally want to stay at a distance.
- If you’re close to its fight or just behind it, it’ll stamp on the ground, creating a shockwave. You can jump over this, but again, there’s not much warning for it.
- Every now and then, Grunthor will bury its head in the ground and lever up a boulder to throw at you. This tracks more than you’d think, get ready to Phantom Dodge just before it lands.
- If there’s other enemies in the area, don’t attack them! Aside from certain wildlife/animal enemies, all others will tend to attack the Grunthor instead of you, and their damage counts. They’ll fire at the Grunthor unless you directly attack them or get too close, so leave them be. It’s likely that the Grunthor will kill them before long, but it keeps it distracted from hitting you until then, and will chip away a fair amount of health.
- If there’s wildlife enemies, such as the toads, use an area-of-effect attack to clear them out as fast as possible, or generate some Mr. Fungi drones to handle/distract them.
- The Topiary Sprinkler can buy you time to grab any health or ammo lying around the battlefield.
- Never look away from Grunthor! Its fast charge can come at you in a second.
Undead Grunthor Sue Boss Fight
Grunthors become recurring boss fights later on, appearing randomly on Sargasso and also being introduced in specific conditions, such as certain set-pieces or in Zurkie’s arena. Players will also encounter a variation; the Undead Grunthor Sue (at least named as such in one fight). Despite being a skeleton, Sue and other undead Grunthors follow all the same rules as the standard kind, so players can still use the tips and strategy we’ve laid out above to beat it.