Monster Hunter Rise offers 14 different weapons to hunt its slate of monsters with. Each has a slightly different playstyle, offering real depth and variety in the ways you approach a hunt. The Switch Axe, as you might have guessed, allows players to switch between an Axe or Sword at the flick of a button. Axe mode offers fluid mobility and hefty single hits, whilst Sword Mode generally has quicker strikes. Phial effects activated by the sword persist in axe form. Truly a weapon for those who like the best of both worlds!
To help you get the most out of this weapon we’ve put together this Monster Hunter Rise Switch Axe guide. We’ll give you some tips on using the Switch Axe, break down those all-important controls you have to master, highlight some choice combos to execute, and walkthrough the new Silkbind attacks available too.
Axe Controls -
- X - Overhead Slash
- (Rapidly Press) A - Wild Swing
- X + A - Rising Slash
- left (d-pad) + X - Forward Slash
- ZR - Morph/Reload
Sword Controls -
- X - Overhead Slash
- A - Double Slash
- X + A - Element Discharge
- ZR - Morph
The best way to ensure maximum damage in Monster Hunter Rise is to string together combos. Here are all of the combos associated with the Switch Axe.
Basic Combo For Start Of Combat:
- ZL + A → X + A → ZR + ZL → A
Quick Phial Filling Combo:
- Hold A → x + A → Hold A → ZR + A → Step
Charge & Amped Element Discharge Combo:
- ZR + A → A → X + A → left (d-pad) + x
- The Switch Axe is one of the franchise's most complex, but rewarding, weapon choices. Both its Axe and Sword forms are powerful, provided you can maintain its gauge.
- The simplest way to describe it is to use the axe to fill the gauge, then switch to the sword (usually when getting closer) to expend that energy.
- Fill up both sword and axe gauges to enter the Amped State and deal much more damage.
- While the axe is better for ranged combat, the sword part is sharper, and therefore harder for a monster to deflect.
- Just remember, you'll move slowly while wielding it and you can't guard.
New to Monster Hunter Rise are Silkbind attacks. These will consume Wirebugs, and will deal damage indicated with blue circles. Build these up to tie down monsters and trigger mountable states.
Here are the Silkbind attacks for the Switch Axe:
- ZL + A - Switch Charger
- ZL + X - Invincible Gambit
- ZL + X - Soaring Wyvern Blade
Now here's a bit more info on how each works:
- Switch Charger - Uses a Wirebug to launch you forward while quickly regenerating your Switch Gauge. In addition, the Switch Gauge won't decrease for a short period of time.
- Invincible Gambit - A forward-moving spinning attack. Fortifies the user, making them immune to flinching or being knocked back by even the fiercest of attacks.
- Soaring Wyvern Blade - Can be switched out with Invincible Gambit. Uses a Wirebug to fly up while slashing, ending with a Forward Slash from midair. If the Forward Slash is successful, the weapon's Activation Gauge fills up, a large explosion goes off where it connected.
That's all you need to know about this weapon. Visit our Monster Hunter Rise Walkthrough to find all of our guides in one handy place.