The Artist, also known as Carmina Mora, is one the most recent Killers added to Dead by Daylight as part of Chapter 22, and she has already made quite the impression with her power of being able to control the supernatural crows that reside within the shifting world of the Entity.
With so much to know about The Artist, you might be wondering where to start. Thankfully, our handy guide on the best builds for this effective, zoning Killer will make every Survivor come across you desperately want to switch off their internet straight after. Oops?
For even more on Dead by Daylight, check out our killers tier list to see where each evil villain ranks. We've also got the best survivor perks ranked , on top of the latest Dead by Daylight codes to redeem.
Table of Contents
- The Artist lore in Dead by Daylight
- What are The Artist's perks in Dead by Daylight?
- What is the Artist's killer power? Birds of Torment
- Dead by Daylight The Artist killer - best add-ons
- What are the best perks and build for The Artist in Dead by Daylight?
- Dead By Daylight The Artist Killer tips and tricks
The Artist lore in Dead by Daylight
Who doesn't love learning about the backstory of these killers? So here it is:
The new Killer is The Artist: gifted but tormented Chilean painter Carmina Mora. Carmina was on the verge of taking her own life just before she was saved by an eerie murder of crows. The unreal experience transformed her jet-black ink surrealist art form into a bolder, larger and more colorful expression.
She started painting large-scale militant murals on street corners, exposing local corruption. Everywhere she performed, crows followed. As she soared in the public eye and shed more light on corruption, she started receiving death threats. The fateful moment arrived, and Carmina was abducted with her friends and taken to an abandoned graveyard in the middle of the desert.
Her wrists were severed, and her tongue chopped off. At the same moment, a torrent of crows erupted from the clouds once again, this time to assault her assailants as well as her friends. After this brutal encounter left her maimed, Carmina was taken by The Entity. Twisted into a grotesque vessel of vengeance, she would turn anyone in her path into carrion for the flock.
What are The Artist's perks in Dead by Daylight?
Each time a Survivor is hooked for the first time, Grim Embrace gains a Token.
Upon reaching 4 Tokens Grim Embrace activates:
- The Entity blocks all Generators for 20/25/30 seconds.
- The Aura of the Obsession is revealed to you for 4 seconds.
Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance
At the start of the Trial, 4 random Hooks are changed into Scourge Hooks:
- The Auras of Scourge Hooks are revealed to you in white.
- Any time a Survivor is hooked on a Scourge Hook the Generator with the most Progression explodes, instantly losing 9/12/15% Progression and will start to regress.
- Survivors repairing that Generator will scream, revealing their location.
You see the Auras of destroyed Totems. You can perform a ritual on a destroyed Totem to resurrect it as a Rekindled Totem. The more Rekindled Totems you create, the greater their effects:
- 1 Totem: Reduces the Repair speed of all Survivors by 20/25/30 %.
- 2 Totems: Reduces the Healing speed of all Survivors by 20/25/30 %.
- 3 Totems: Reduces the Recovery speed of all Survivors by 20/25/30 %.
- 4 Totems: Reduces the Gate Opening speed of all Survivors by 20/25/30 %.
- 5 Totems: All Totems are blocked by The Entity .
- When a Rekindled Totem is removed, its remains are consumed by The Entity.
What is the Artist's killer power? Birds of Torment
The Artist's killer power is called Birds of Tormentp
With this Power, The Artist is able to summon 3 Dire Crows at her command through the use of the Power button. These Crows can only be summoned one at a time, and each crow stays idle for a short amount of time, with the length of their summoning time extending with each crow The Artist summons.
When Dire Crows are summoned, The Artist is able to use her power to send them flying forwards, where they turn into a Swarm of Crows that can go through objects like walls and buildings.
Summoned Dire Crows flight paths can only go in a straight line, but do not stop until they either hit a Survivor or reach the end of the map.
If a Survivor is hit by a Swarm of Crows, a murder of crows will circle the Survivor - which they will need to repel. The Artist is able to see these crows through a highlighted, white Aura until the crows are repelled.
If a Survivor runs into Idle Crows, they will also get swarmed. Once Swarmed, being hit with another Swarm of Crows will injure them.
A Swarm of Crows that go past a nearby Survivor - but not collide with them - will trigger Killer Instinct.
Dead by Daylight The Artist killer - best add-ons
Each Killer comes with a number of different Add-Ons that’ll either improve the Killer’s base kit, or change it entirely for more fun and engaging gameplay. We’ll be honest though, The Artist’s add-ons aren’t that great and could use some improvement, but we’ve still managed to narrow down the add-ons that are more effective than most.
Reduces the cooldown of The Artist’s Birds of Torment power after releasing a Dire Crow by 0.5 seconds. While good by itself, it is even better when paired up with add-on Thick Tar for a shotgun effect that can hit Survivors through walls at a much faster rate - giving it a shotgun-effect.
O Grief O Lover
Survivors who are hit with a swarm of crows while using this add-on also suffer the Oblivious status effect, making it easy for The Artist to sneak up and give Survivors a cheeky smack of her ink-like claw.
This add-on adds another Dire Crow to the The Artist’s arsenal (never a bad thing), but at the cost of reducing the idle time before the crows disintegrate by 4 seconds. Still, effective for Killer players who like to play The Artist’s power like a wild shotgun.
An add-on that’s perfect for tracking due to its ability to cause swarmed Survivors who go near other players in the match to ‘infect’ others with crows too. Works particularly well when The Artist is shooting crows at generators.
What are the best perks and build for The Artist in Dead by Daylight?
We would go with the following perks for the best possible The Artist build:
Corrupt Intervention (The Plague Perk)
At the start of the trial, the 3 generators furthest from you are blocked by The Entity for 80/90/100 seconds.
Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance (The Artist Perk)
Each time a Survivor is placed on a Scourge Hook, the Generator with the most progress will explode and instantly lose 9/12/15% of progress. Survivors working on the generator will scream and reveal their location.
BBQ & Chilli (The Cannibal Perk)
When a Survivor is placed on the Hook, all other Survivors outside of 40m of you will have their Aura revealed for 4 seconds. You also receive a stack-able bonus to all Bloodpoint gained throughout the trial, with a maximum of 50/75/100%.
Pop Goes The Weasel (The Clown Perk)
When a Survivor is put onto a Hook, this perk activates for 30/35/40 seconds. When you kick a Generator, it instantly loses 25% progression and then continues to regress.
Dead By Daylight The Artist Killer tips and tricks
- The Artist is a Killer that’s great for pushing Survivors exactly where you want them to be by locking down loops with their Dire Crows. Survivors will have no choice but to run into them and get injured, or leave the loop entirely, so you can down them.
- Birds of Torment aren’t just useful for injuring Survivors, they are incredible for tracking Survivors movements. Use it to your advantage by either firing another swarm of crows and injuring/downing Survivors, or use it to let you know the general direction they are going in, so you can intercept them.
- Use The Artist’s Dire Crows at the beginning to shoot at various generators to see whether Survivors are on them. Even if you don’t hit any Survivors directly, there’s a big chance you’ll still trigger Killer Instinct to let you know their general whereabouts of your prey.
- You don’t need to use all three Dire Crows at once when in a chase. It can be helpful for zoning at loops, but using all three crows leaves you with a longer cooldown than it would if you only used one or two crows (at the very maximum), effectively leaving you powerless.
- Dire Crows are very useful for map information too, as if you’re running perks that involve Hex Totems, you can push Survivors off them if they are hit with a swarm while cleansing or otherwise messing with a Totem.
- The Artist’s power is more effective when you try to predict Survivor’s movements. So, when you hit them with a swarm, and you can see their aura, try to predict where you think they’ll move next. You can then launch your crows at them and injure/down them.
That's all you need to know about mastering this Killer. Be sure to check back regularly to see how your build could be improved. In the meantime, check out the killers we wish to see in Dead by Daylight soon, or some games like DBD for when you need a break.