The Hag was first introduced to Dead by Daylight as the third DLC Killer to be added to the game. Her chapter was called Of Flesh and Mud and with her introduction came Hex Totems, too, adding a new element to the game that is ultimately up to the fans if it improved anything or not.
Yet if you’re going to dominate as The Hag, you’ll need to know how best to use her effectively. This guide will help you out by explaining the best Hag build out there, alongside all the perks she possesses.
For more on Dead By Daylight, check out our killers tier list to see where each one ranks. We've also got the best Hillbilly build to check out, alongside some free Dead By Daylight codes you can redeem right now.
Dead By Daylight The Hag perks
The Hag has three unique perks that can be unlocked for other Killers via the Bloodweb.
Hex: The Third Seal
The last 2/3/4 Survivors hit with a Basic Attack suffer from the Blindness status sffect. The Hex persists for as long as the Hex Totem is unbroken by Survivors.
All Generators regress at 100/150/200% of the normal regression speed when they aren’t being repaired. The Hex persists for as long as the Hex Totem is unbroken by Survivors.
Hex: Devour Hope
Every time a Survivor is rescued from the Hook while you’re at least 24 metres away, you gain 1 Token out of 5. At 2 Tokens you gain a 3/4/5% Haste status effect 10 seconds after Hooking a Survivor. At 3 Tokens the Survivors suffer permanently from the Exposed status effect and at 5 Tokens you’re able to kill Survivors by your own hand.
What are the best builds and perks for The Hag?
We would go with the following perks for the Best possible Hag Build:
Corrupt Intervention (The Plague Perk)
At the start of the Trial, the 3 Generators located farthest from you are blocked by The Entity for several seconds.
A Nurse's Calling (The Nurse Perk)
Unlocks potential in your Aura-reading ability. The Auras of Survivors, who are healing or being healed, are revealed to you when they are within a range of several metres.
Save the Best for Last (The Shape Perk)
You become obsessed with one Survivor. Each time you hit a Survivor other than your Obsession with a Basic Attack, Save the Best for Last gains 1 Token, up to a maximum of 8 Tokens. Gain a stack-able 5 % Cool-down reduction on successful attacks per Token, up to a maximum of 40 %.
Each time you hit your Obsession with a Basic Attack, Save the Best for Last loses several Tokens. When the Obsession is sacrificed or killed, you can neither gain nor lose any more Tokens. You can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.
Monitor & Abuse (The Doctor Perk)
Meticulous in your approach, terrifying in your application. Your base Terror Radius is increased by 8 metres. Whenever you are outside of a Chase, your Terror Radius is reduced by 16 metres while your Field of View is increased by 3/5/10°.
Dead By Daylight The Hag powers
The Hag’s Power is called Blackened Catalyst. With her blackened finger, The Hag is able to draw muddy, Phantasm Traps that allow her to teleport to whenever a Survivor triggers them by proximity, or when she wants (via an add-on).
The Hag has 10 of these Phantasm Traps, and unlike the Trapper, doesn’t need to remove them manually to set them up somewhere else. Each time she places a trap down that exceeds over 10, the oldest Phantasm Trap will be replaced.
When a trap is triggered by a Survivor being in close proximity to it, a mud-shaped illusion of The Hag will appear and force the Survivor’s camera towards it to confuse them. The illusion will also give out a small Terror Radius, giving uncertainty to Survivors whether or not The Hag has teleported to the trap or not. A smack in the face will quickly tell you though.
The Hag must be a certain distance to teleport to triggered Phantasm Traps, otherwise the traps will be pretty useless.
Survivors are able to get rid of The Hag’s traps via shining their Flashlights on them, removing them and The Hag’s ability to teleport to them.
Best add-ons for The Hag in Dead By Daylight
In my opinion, The Hag has some of the best add-ons in the game. Not only do they make playing her more fun, but it definitely keeps a Survivor second-guessing a lot of the time. Here are just a few that’ll enhance your Dead by Daylight gameplay.
This add-on removes the ability for The Hag to teleport to her traps, but makes her mud-illusions from the Phantasm Traps turn solid - meaning that Survivors are unable to pass through them. This effectively bodyblocks Survivors, cutting off their escape and helping to land a hit on them.
This add-on lets you see the Aura of a Survivor for 5 seconds after they trigger your Phantasm Traps. This can be useful for two reasons. If you’re unable to get to the trap in time to teleport to it, it lets you know the general location of where a Survivor is hiding. And, when you can get to it and the Survivor tries to hide before you get there. It works as a mini I’m All Ears. Very useful in a Chase.
When a Phantasm Trap is triggered with this add-on, the Survivor is deafened for 6 seconds. This effectively means that Survivors have to rely on their sight only, which can be deceiving if they’ve triggered multiple Phantasm Traps in short succession.
An Irisdescent add-on that lets The Hag teleport to any untriggered Phantasm Trap on the map, with a cooldown of 15 seconds. You’re still able to teleport to triggered traps without any penalty, but this is great for Hags who want to get around the map as fast as possible. Great on bigger maps like Ormond and The Red Forest.
Dead By Daylight The Hag tips and tricks
- The Hag is a high-mobility Killer, but she’s slow with a Movement Speed of 4.4 m/s - so make sure you put your traps in areas where you know Survivors are going to trigger them. Otherwise you’re going to be hiking your way around the map and putting yourself at a disadvantage.
- Don’t place your Phantasm Traps inside the pallet. Mud-illusions can be run through (unless you use an add-on) and if you teleport to that particular trap, it’s likely the Survivor will just throw the Pallet on your head and give you a hefty stun.
- Make Your Choice is excellent on The Hag when using long-ranged Teleport add-ons. All you need to do is Hook a Survivor, run off a fair distance, wait until they’ve unhooked the Survivor and then Teleport over there to get a free, easy down.
- The Hag is small in comparison to a lot of other Killers, so use that to your advantage by hiding your Red Stain (turning to the side and moonwalking) at jungle gyms. Some Killers are unable to do that because of their height, but The Hag definitely can.
- Bodyblocking add-ons like Scarred Hand are excellent for Basement Build Hags, mostly because you’re able to block the top of the stairs which can effectively stop Survivors from going down to get their friends off the Hook.
- Keep an eye on how many Phantasm Traps you have left before you start putting down anymore. Because you don’t have physical traps, it’s easy to lose track of them and end up replacing your set-up due to being overzealous.
That's all you need to know about the best The Hag builds in Dead by Daylight. Be sure to check back regularly to see how your build could be improved. In the meantime, check out the killers we wish to see in Dead by Daylight soon, or some games like DBD for when you need a break.