Fishing is an essential part of the game and a great way to earn Bells.
It's also necessary to complete your Museum collection!
Here's our Fishing guide for New Horizons.
How To Fish in Animal Crossing New Horizons
Fishing is simple in Animal Crossing New Horizons, once you get the hang of it.
Early on, you'll be able to craft a 'Flimsy Fishing Rod' which will be stored in your inventory.
Press the X button to open it, then select the rod and select 'hold' to equip it.
Once you've done this, head to a body of water and press A to cast your rod. You'll want to aim at the shadows of fish, specifically in front of them to entice them in.
Fish will then nibble, often more than once, before properly engaging with the bait – denoted by the water moving around it and the bait moving. When this happens, press A quickly to reel them in.
Then you can show Tom Nook, or sell it for bells.
All Fishing Rods
Here's how to get the Fishing Rod and how to upgrade it:
- Flimsy fishing rod: Tom Nook (first DIY workshop) [5x tree branch]
- Fishing rod: Everyday tools A-Z for 3,000 Nook Miles on the Nook Stop [1x flimsy fishing rod, 1 iron nugget]
- Golden fishing rod: The recipe is mailed after catching every Fish [1x fishing rod, 1x gold nugget]
- Colorful fishing rod: Purchased from the cabinet at Nook's Cranny after the first upgrade.
- Fish fishing rod: Purchased from the cabinet at Nook's Cranny after the first upgrade.
- Outdoorsy fishing rod: Purchased from the cabinet at Nook's Cranny after the first upgrade.
Fish bait is used to lure fish to a specific location in the water for fishing in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
It is crafted from 1 manila clam at any DIY workbench.
The DIY recipe for fish bait is obtained after digging up a manila clam for the first time.
- If you're unable to reach the fish, use bait to lure it close to your rod
- The bigger the size of the shadow, the bigger the fish, but that doesn't mean its more valuable
- Fish at different times of the day and in different locations to catch different fish