Getting a Valheim incompatible version error?
You’re not alone.
Valheim is still experiencing a bug where the game updates, but not all parts of it update or the servers you’re using don’t update along with the game file.
Fortunately, fixing the problem is easy, though updating your Valheim server does naturally require a few more involved steps.
The Valheim incompatible version error pops up when the version you’re using doesn’t match the version of the server.
Sometimes, the server itself is out of date and needs tweaking.
Either way, the first step is updating your own game version.
Read more: How to get maximum Valheim comfort
How to Fix Valheim Incompatible Version: Update Valheim
Updating Valheim is simple.
- Right click on Valheim in your Steam library
- Choose “Properties”
- Choose “Updates”
Then just wait.
How to Update Valheim Server
If your server needs updating, your first step is backing up your save data since updating servers deletes save data.
All you need to do for that is save your “/Valheim/savedata” folder to a different location.
Then do the following:
- Download SteamCMD
- Make a folder for your update file
- Create “Update.bat” in Notepad using the Valheim directory
- Open Update.bat
- Paste this into the file: C:\SteamCMD\steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir C:\Valheim +app_update 896660 validate +exit
- The file path might be different if your SteamCMD file name is different from that one.
Read more: What is Valheim's max skill level?