Pokemon Sword and Shield introduce some of the most unique evolutions we have seen in a Pokemon game to date, many of the new Pokemon evolve into some extraordinary final forms.
Evolving your Pokemon is one of the most basic principals of any Pokemon game, some Pokemon even require a special way to evolve such as a stone or a trade with another player.
Sword and Shield have the usual Pokemon from older generations that need a trade-in order to evolve along with some new additions to the field.
We'll take you through which ones need a trade-in order to evolve!
Be sure to watch our wide variety of Pokemon content here!
How Do I Trade?
- Press the Y button on your right Joy-Con to bring up the Y-Comm menu.
- Check the upper right-hand corner to see what trading mode it's in. If you want to trade with a friend make sure it says "Local Communication". For anyone wanting to trade online with a random player, it should say "Internet". If it doesn't say the correct mode, press the + button to switch. Note that you need a Nintendo Switch Online membership in order to trade online.
- Select Link Trade.
- Select Start trading.
- Your Switch is ready to trade. Wait for it to search for someone nearby.
- Once both Switch consoles are ready to trade, a message will pop up reading, "A trade partner has been found! Time for a trade! Press the A button to continue.
- Select the Pokémon you want to send to the other person.
- Select Trade it.
- The image of the Pokémon the other person wants to give you will appear. If you're ok with the trade, select Trade it.
- This notice will pop up. Press A to make it go away.
- If you want to do more trading select another Pokémon. If you want to quit trading, Press B.
- Select Yes to continue playing your game.
If you're trading online you will need to:
- Select Set Link Code and you have selected Link Trade.
- You'll need to create a 4-digit code. Try to make it something complex otherwise, you'll get paired up with a random person.
- Press the + button or OK to continue.
- Tell your friend what the 4-digit code is. I tend to text my friends or message them to give them this info.
- From their own Switch, your friend needs to go into the Y-Comm and complete steps 1 - 6.
Which Pokemon Do You Need To Trade To Evolve?
Trading a Pokemon to another player is as simple as it sounds, whether you are doing it with another friend or you just so happen to have both copies of the game it is rather easy.
As you sit there and wait for the trade to happen you can feel the anticipation of your future Pokemon evolving right before your eyes.
There are not many Pokemon that require a trade to evolve, and some of them we have known since generation one, but all of the trade evolution Pokemon is listed below.
- Machoke evolves into Machamp
- Haunter evolves into Gengar
- Boldore evolves into Gigalith
- Pumpkaboo evolves into Gourgeist
- Phantump evolves into Trevenant
What Pokemon do you plan on trading to evolve? Let us know by tweeting at us!
Written ByNick Farrell@NCF7_
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE ENTIRE SWORD AND SHIELD POKEDEX!