Update - May 2021 Field Research Tasks and Rewards Arrive in less than 24 hours!
Original Story - Pokemon GO players, it's once again time for a new month of field research quests and rewards.
On this page, we'll share with you everything we know about Field Research quests in Pokemon GO for May 2021.
We'll cover how they work, the existing quests available right now and what Pokemon will act as our new Field Research Breakthrough in May 2021.
To make things easy, we've broken it down into sections, so if you want to skip ahead, by all means, click the links above to fast-forward to the info you're looking for.
Pokemon GO Team Rocket Guides - Pokemon Go Arlo Counters | Pokemon GO Cliff Counters | Pokemon Go Sierra Counters | Pokemon Go Giovanni Counters | Pokemon Go James & Jesse Counters | Pokemon GO Team Rocket Grunts Counters
Pokemon GO May 2021 Field Research Quests Start Time
The Field Research Quests and rewards will change at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7) on May 1. That's 8pm BST this evening.
Active Pokemon GO Field Research (May 1 2021)
The Pokemon GO Field Research Tasks for April 2021 are still live and can be viewed below. We'll update these when they change over this evening.
Catching Tasks Field Research tasks
- Catch 5 Pokemon reward - Nidoran♀ or Nidoran♂
- Catch 10 Grass-type Pokemon reward - Chikorita
- Catch 10 Pokemon reward - Magikarp
- Catch a Dragon-type Pokemon reward - Dratini
- Catch 5 Pokemon with Weather Boost reward - Poliwag or Vulpix
Buddy Field Research tasks
- Earn 5 hearts with your Buddy reward - Cubone
Throwing Field Research tasks
- Make 5 Nice throws reward - Voltorb
- Make 3 Great throws reward - Gastly, Anorith or Lileep
- Make 3 Great throws in a row reward - Onix
- Make 5 Great Curveball throws in a row reward - Spinda (Form 2)
- Make 3 Excellent throws in a row reward - Gible
Battle & Raid Field Research tasks
- Defeat a Team Go Rocket Grunt reward - Stunky
- Win in the Go Battle League reward - Oddish or Bellsprout
- Win a Raid reward - Ferroseed
- Win a Level 3 or higher Raid reward - Omanyte or Kabuto
- Win 5 Raids reward - Aerodactyl
Friend Field Research tasks
- Send 3 Gifts to Friends reward - Bunnelby
- Trade a Pokemon reward - Wurmple
Additional Field Research tasks
- Evolve a Pokemon reward - Eevee
- Power up Pokemon 5 times reward - Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle
- Take a snapshot of Grass-type Pokemon reward - Bulbasaur
- Use an incense reward - Onix
Pokemon GO May 2021 Research Breakthrough Reward
As per usual Niantic has already announced the latest changes coming to the Research Breakthrough Reward in May 2021.
Previously trainers had the chance to encounter Chancey as a possible research breakthrough reward in January 2021, Snorlax in February 2021, Gible in March 2021 and male Frillish in April 2021.
For May 2021, players will encounter Galarian Ponyta in Research Breakthrough encounters.
This information was confirmed on the most recent Pokemon Go blog along with the start times:
"From Saturday, May 1, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, June 1, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), you’ll encounter Galarian Ponyta in Research Breakthrough encounters."
Pokemon GO Field Research Quests - What Are They and How Do They Work?
Field Research Quests are one of the key cornerstones of the game.
If you're new to Pokemon GO or joining again after a lengthy stint away, then lets recap how these Field Research Quests work and why they're so important.
In Pokemon Go players spin PokeStops and in return, collect field research quests from Professor Willow.
These are completely random and the quest for each PokeStop changes every 24 hours.
Completing field research earns rewards for players. This could be anything from Pokeballs to random Pokemon encounters. It all depends on the research task you complete.
Naturally, Pokemon encounters are most popular, especially when the Pokemon available is especially rare.
Complete Field Research Quests and you'll also earn a stamp. Collect seven stamps and you'll unlock an additional field research breakthrough. Normally this means a chance to capture an extra special Pokemon with better rewards to boot.
And that's it. You're all set to go complete some Pokemon Go Field Research.
We'll update the page with the new May field research quests, once they go live.
Head back to our main Pokemon category for all the latest news and detailed step-by-step guides. Otherwise, make sure you're up to date on the current Egg pool, Ditto Disguises and Field Research Tasks, including the current Spinda you can catch in the wild.