If you’re just jumping into NBA 2K21 and you’re seeing the NBA 2K21 error 4B538E50 or EFEAB30C, you might have jumped just a little too fast.
Both error codes refer to the same basic problem, though what that problem is depends on your situation.
In general, it’s a data error code, one that pops up when your copy is missing vital data for launching and playing the game — sometimes.
Take-Two also noted several other situations that can prompt the NBA 2K21 error code 4B538E50, so if you’ve downloaded all the data, it could be one of a number of issues.
What is NBA 2K21 Error 4B538E50?
Normally, NBA 2K21 error code 4B538E50 or EFEAB30C pops up when you try and start the game without downloading all the necessary data.
This can happen if you start it while some data is still downloading or if you’ve not yet downloaded the latest update.
There’s nothing wrong with the game or your system, and in general, it’s an easy fix if this is the actual issue.
Take-Two outlined a number of other problems that could cause either error code, however.
- The account email confirmation needs to be sent again
- You may be encountering this error due to the exceeded amount of allowed NBA 2K accounts on your console
- There may be some software blocking your connection to servers
- Reserved Space has been cleared on your hard drive
- Your data is out of sync
How to Fix NBA 2K21 Error 4B538E50
If it's just the data issue, waiting until the downloads are finished will resolve the problem. If it's not, you'll need to take a few other actions.
The account email confirmation needs to be sent again
- Go to: https://www.nba2k.com
- Click "Sign In" at the top-right of the screen
- Enter your MyPLAYER account name and password
- When you log in successfully, this is an automatic verification of your account via the log in
You may be encountering this error due to the exceeded amount of allowed NBA 2K accounts on your console.
This will cause an error code if you're trying to use more than five accounts on your console. Take-Two has no fix for this particular issue, and you'll just have to play with any of the existing five accounts.
There may be some software blocking your connection to servers
You can see if this is the root problem by following these steps:
On a computer (which needs to be connected to the router you are currently using), open the Windows menu, type "CMD" and press Enter.
- In the command prompt, enter the following command: pathping -n 126.96.36.199
- After a few seconds the command prompt is going to show some statistics. To copy the output, right-click anywhere in the window and select: Select All. Right click again and select Copy. Open Notepad. Press Ctrl+V to paste into Notepad.
- Back at the prompt, type tracert 188.8.131.52 and press Enter. Please wait until the window says Trace Complete. Copy that information as well and send both of these documents to us as attachments.
Reserved Space has been cleared on your hard drive
If you deleted the extra space NBA 2K21 reserves for patches and other downloads, it can cause problems.
The game automatically re-creates the space every time you launch it, but if the process gets interrupted, it results in the error code.
The easiest way to avoid this problem is just not deleting that extra space.
Your data is out of sync
Take-Two described this issue as such:
"Often, files will appear missing due to all data not being synced (this is especially possible if you've deleted your Reserve Space.) Please select the "Play Now" option and allow your game to sit on that menu until you receive an update message. The message could take quite a long time (possibly hours) to appear depending on where you are in the syncing process.
After receiving the message, you will be asked to go back to the main menu. Please note that when you do this, you'll encounter a loading screen which will apply the update. Once the update is applied, you will automatically be brought to the main menu."