Animal Crossing New Horizons provides you with a vast island to populate with friendly villagers, but you'll only start off with two. How can you recruit more to your town? We'll show you how to get villagers to move in, in our easy and comprehensive guide laid out for you below.
How to Get Villagers to Move In to Your Island in Animal Crossing New Horizons
To get villagers to move in to your island in Animal Crossing New Horizons, players need to go exploring other random islands to try and find and appeal to them there, then invite them back to their own island to become residents. You can also speak to villagers at the campsite, or engage with other players and Amiibo. We've laid out every step for you to try.
Recruiting Villagers From Other Islands
- Spend 2000 Nook Miles to visit other random islands.
- While there, there's a chance you'll encounter random villagers.
- Speak to them multiple times until the option to invite them appears.
- If you don't have the space for them, Tom Nook will give you the opportunity to build houses for them when you return home.
Recruiting Villagers From the Campsite
- Upgrade Resident Services to a proper building.
- Build the Campsite.
- Random villagers will spawn in it from time to time. You have the chance to invite them to stay permanently while they're there.
For those who have Amiibo cards or want to take one of their friends' villagers, check out our guide on how to to do just that! Or find out how you can evict villagers and get them to move out if they're cramping your style.