One of the many mini-games you’ll encounter in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart are tank sections as the AI Glitch, in which you must explore a digital world and fight off dangerous computer viruses. We’ll show you how to play as Glitch and beat these computer sequences here, with all the specifics and how you unlock new abilities.
How to Play as Glitch in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
To play as Glitch in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, players will need to learn to keep their distance from enemies, learn the landscape they’re fighting in and make use of all the abilities given to them. There’s multiple sequences in which you can play as Glitch, some of which are mandatory, and both Glitch’s power and the virus threat goes up as you play more and more of them.
Where to Play as Glitch
There are five points where you can play as Glitch and fight viruses, always prompted by a digital lock that needs to be hacked. These are typically marked by consoles covered in strange, purple, digital-looking tendrils that you can interact with using the Triangle button.
- After defeating the Nefarious Juggernaut in Nefarious City
- To save the Mountain Trial Monks on Savali
- To access the computer at Cordelion
- To get the Gold Bolt in the Grunthor Feeder in the second Pirate Trial on Ardolis (Optional)
- To get the Gold Bolt in the Savali Catacombs (Optional)
How to Beat the Viruses as Glitch
The computer viruses that Glitch fights come in two forms - small, chomping virus minions that try to swarm her from melee range, and Virus Nests that create more of the virus minions. To complete each section, the player must use Glitch to destroy all the Virus Nests. Once done, the player can return to the real world with the computer console or lock now hacked.
Tips and Strategy
- Virus minions can spawn very fast. Players should use the R2 cannons to thin them out as much as possible, as though they have no ranged options, being swarmed by them is quite hard to avoid in later stages, and they can do a lot of damage.
- If you’re unsure of where to go, check for curved surfaces rising up from the floor, often marked by yellow paths. Glitch can walk on any surface, even the ceiling, so gravity is no obstacle.
- Purple, tangled goop blocking your path can simply be shot out of your way with R2.
- Angular hexagonal capsules can be shot to make them drop health. Look for these if you’re in danger!
- In later stages, you’ll unlock an area-of-effect attack that’s triggered with X and destroys all nearby minions around you. It’s charged by beating enemies, but if you can kill enough with this shockwave, you can automatically recharge it for instant use again!
Destroying Virus Nests
The Virus Nests you need to destroy can be done so with the L2 Blitz-Infectors, guided missiles that lock onto targets. Your standard weapons won’t work on them, so don’t bother doing anything else.
Virus Nest Shields
However, in later phases many Nests are protected by a shield. If this is the case, there should be a cable snaking out from the nest along the ground. Follow it to a switch - stepping on that will bring down the shield and leave the Virus Nest vulnerable to your missiles.
How to Skip Glitch Sections
Playing as Glitch is actually optional. If you find this tank combat not so much to your liking, you can simply pause the game and select the new “Skip Puzzle” option to go straight past it, the game acting like you completed it. There’s no penalty for this, so feel free to take it if you’re finding you’re not interested in these diversions.