The Japanese gaming industry is filled with countless RPG franchises and now we will tell you The Legend of Heroes play order. This series of JRPGs has a decent number of games, and newcomers often get confused with the timeline of this universe.
Of course, just playing the games in the order they came out is always a nice option, but here we will provide you with an alternative way.
What order should you play The Legend of Heroes?
The Legend of Heroes is one of those huge JRPG franchises that consist of many games, and if you want to learn what order to play them in, then you’ve come to the right place. This series is structured in an unusual manner, but it is still possible to figure out the correct order.
There are four different arcs that are based on four regions. Each of these arcs can be played separately, but we will arrange them in chronological order. However, if you want to play the Erebonia Arc first, then you are free to do so. All of these arcs contain certain stories that don’t have much connection to each other.
1 – The Liberl Arc
The Liberl Arc tells us about the land of Liberl, which is the south of the Zemuria continent. There you can learn the story of Joshua and Estelle who are very important characters in this series. Here are the games that belong to this arc:
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
2 – The Crossbell Arc
The second arc is about Crossbell, a small and important territory near Erebonia and Calvard. Here are all the games that are included in this story:
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure
3 – The Erebonia Arc
The third arc revolves around one of the strongest states in the setting called the Erebonian Kingdom. It has a huge number of games and here is a list of them:
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie
The last game is sort of an epilogue to the Crosbell and Erebonia Arcs.
4 – The Calvard Arc
This is a story that takes place in the Calvard Republic, which is the main rival of Erebonia. The plot is not finished yet, and the latest game from this arc was released in 2022. Here are the games that belong to it:
- The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki
- The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki II – Crimson Sin
Other Arcs and games in The Legend of Heroes franchise
There are also a few more games that don’t belong to the Trails sub-series. These include the next instalments:
- Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes – The Dragon Slayer sub-series
- Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II – The Dragon Slayer sub-series
- The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch – The Gagharv sub-series
- The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion – The Gagharv sub-series
- The Legend of Heroes III: Song of the Ocean – The Gagharv sub-series
- The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails – A spin-off of the Trails sub-series that takes place in a completely different timeline.
These are all the important games from The Legend of Heroes franchise. Hopefully, our guide will help you figure out the best order to play them! And before you go, check out our list of the best free strategy games.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Guides page.