December 8th is looking to be a huge day for Destiny fans – almost as big as Beyond Light's launch last month.
That's because the game is getting a hefty update to make it optimised for Xbox Series S/X and PlayStation 5.
Destiny 2 Next-Gen Upgrade Release Time
Bungie's latest blog post has revealed that pre-loading won't be available, so players will have to wait for the update (version 3.0.1) to go live before downloading.
That's expected at around 6 PM GMT.
Destiny 2 Next-Gen Upgrade Server Downtime
Here's Bungie's proposed rollout:
- December 3, 10 AM PST (1800 UTC): Destiny 2 background maintenance for Update 3.0.1 begins.
- December 3, 2PM PST (2200 UTC): Destiny 2 background maintenance for Update 3.0.1. completes.
- December 8, 7 AM PST (1500 UTC): Destiny 1 and 2 maintenance for Update 3.0.1 begins.
- December 8, 8 AM PST (1600 UTC): Players are removed from activities in Destiny 1 and 2 and won't be able to log back in until 9 AM PST when Update 3.0.1 is available.
- December 8, 9 AM PST (1700 UTC): Destiny 2 Update 3.0.1 is rolled out across all platforms and regions. Players can log back into Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 at this time. Ongoing maintenance is expected to conclude at 10 AM PST.
- December 8 10 AM PST (1800 UTC): Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 maintenance is expected to conclude.
Destiny 2 Next-Gen Upgrade Price
Good news, folks – you'll be able to upgrade for free.
Destiny 2 Next-Gen Upgrade Cross-Save and Cross-Play
Cross save can be accessed via Bungie's site, and will let you link your accounts.
That means if you've purchased Destiny 2 on your PS5 but want to access your Xbox One character, you can.
Find out how here.
Unfortunately, cross-play between systems isn't supported (Bungie has suggested it could come in 2021), but you can play within console families – so your Xbox Series X/S version will be compatible with Xbox One friends, and the same with PS5 to PS4.
Destiny 2 Next-Gen Upgrade Patch Size
Our only gripe about the new consoles are the relatively small storage spaces, and Bungie has revealed the size of the next-gen patch.
- Xbox Series S/X: Around 70GB
- PlayStation 5: Around 67GB
The update will also make some changes for last-gen consoles and PC, too:
- Xbox One: Around 2.35GB
- PlayStation 4: Around 2.09GB
- PC (Steam): 1.5GB
Destiny 2 Next-Gen Upgrade: How To Install
Xbox users, your upgrade is nice and easy – particularly if you have automatic updates installed.
If not, you'll just need to check the "Updates" section of the "My Games and Apps" section or try to jump into Destiny 2 – which should prompt the update.
PS5 owners, things get a little trickier as Sony's platform essentially sees the PS5 version as a different game.
From your home screen, hit the three dots next to Destiny 2's "Play" button and select "View Product". This should let you redeem the upgrade, which will hopefully then download – or at least be found in your Game Library tab.
In our experience, the PS5 sometimes gets confused and you may have to uninstall the game entirely, before reinstalling the PS5 version – something to consider if you want to jump in as soon as possible.
Destiny 2 Next-Gen Upgrade: All Enhancements
4K and 60 FPS on a console? Sign us up.
As you can see, the next-gen versions of Destiny 2 offer hefty boosts to performance – even on the Series S.
Expect much faster load times (hooray!), as well as a smoother, more stable framerate and a new field of view slider – something previously only available on PC.
Destiny 2 Next-Gen Upgrade: Patch Notes
Bungie will likely release the full patch notes soon, but here's what's confirmed for version 3.0.1:
Dungeons - Prophecy
- The Prophecy Dungeon will be returning to Destiny 2 on December 8, 2020.
- This endgame activity is free to all players.
- Powerful rewards may be earned from each checkpoint once per week.
- Players may complete the dungeon once per week to obtain a pinnacle-powered reward.
- Previously featured weapon and armor rewards are available once more.
Destiny Companion App – Bounties
- Beginning next week, players may acquire bounties from Destiny 2 vendors using the Destiny Companion App.
- Bounties may only be acquired when players are Offline, In Orbit, or in The Tower.
- This will be introduced through a Companion App update, which is planned for December 8, 2020.
- Stay tuned to @BungieHelp for more on this Companion App update.
New Light – Resolved Issues
- Fixed an issue with the New Light subclass quest where Ikora's waypoint was suppressed.
- Fixed an issue where veteran players with two characters of the same class were blocked from acquiring their subclasses.
- Fixed an issue where a step on the New Light pursuit was not granting experience.
- Fixed an issue where players who skip the Shotgun chest in the first mission did not receive Special ammo when the Shotgun was granted.
Monument to Lost Lights
- Fixed an issue where the waypoint on the Exotic Archive Vendor continues to flash for players who own all Exotics.
- Badges and Armor in Collections correctly select player's class.
- Fixed an issue where the UI would forget which page the player was on after previewing an item in Collections.
- Fixed a bug where some new armor mods had incorrect sources listed in Collections.
- Updated the mercy rule for Control and Clash to prevent it from triggering too early in the match.
- Fixed an issue where the "Survivor" medal could be awarded to players who were defeated during the round.
- Fixed an issue where the "Untouchable" medal could not be earned.
Beyond Light Exotics
- Fixed a bug where the Icefall Mantle's description did not mention the slow field it generates when activated.
Mask of Bakris
- Improved the readability of the visual effects when another player wearing Mask of Bakris shifts directly toward you.
- Updated the description string of Mask of Bakris's perk to correctly describe its damage bonus, which applies only to combatants and affects all Arc weapon damage and all damage against slowed or encased enemies.
- Additionally, fixed an issue where this damage bonus was applying to players who are slowed or encased in Crucible and Gambit.
- Fixed an issue where being killed by the effects of Necrotic Grip would show as being "Killed by the Architects."