The Oni is a Dead By Daylight killer that uses his speed and powerful swings to effectively decimate Survivors. He is the very first Killer to have a familial relationship with another Killer in the game - The Spirit. The Oni is a fast, mobile Killer that gets more and more powerful the more Survivors stay hurt. He uses two weapons: his Katana and his Kanabo. We know you want to be the most formidable Oni there is, so let's see what a Dead By Daylight best Oni build looks like.
Firstly, what makes The Oni an effective and brutal Killer in Dead by Daylight, and what’s the best way to use his power, perks, and add-ons? Well, this guide will answer all that, as well as give you some other tips and tricks to try out, too.
Dead By Daylight the Oni perks
The Oni has three unique perks that can be unlocked for other Killers via the bloodweb.
The Oni is able to see the auras of breakable walls, pallets, and vaults within 24 metres.
When a Survivor is put on a hook, all other injured Survivors will suffer from the haemorrhage and exhausted status effect for 45 seconds.
When a Survivor stuns you with a pallet or locker, they become your new obsession. Anytime the obsession switches to another Survivor, they suffer from the oblivious status and their aura is revealed to you for four seconds.
What is the best The Oni build in Dead By Daylight?
Here are the following perks that create the best possible build for the Oni:
Call of the Brine (The Onryo perk)
When performing the damage generator action, the generator will regress at 115%/120%/125% of the normal regression speed, and its aura will be revealed with a yellow highlight. The generator will also emit a loud noise notification each time a Survivor hits a good skill check.
Blood Echo (The Oni perk)
When a Survivor gets hooked, all other injured Survivors will suffer from haemorrhage and exhausted status effects for 45 seconds.
Nowhere to Hide (The Knight perk)
The auras of all Survivors within 24 meters will be revealed when the Killer kicks and damages a generator. This perk is great for hunting unsuspecting Survivors.
Play with Your Food (The Shape perk)
A token will be rewarded each time the Killer chases the obsession. Each token grants a stackable percentage of haste. Performing damaging attacks on Survivors will cost one token.
Dead By Daylight the Oni powers
The Oni's power is called Yamaoka's Wrath. Described as a power to destroy others bloodlines, Yamaoka's Wrath allows you to absorb Blood Orbs left by injured survivors that fill up the power gauge.
The full power gauge can be consumed to initiate Blood Fury. It is a state where the Oni gains two new powerful abilities, Demon Dash and Demon Strike.
Best The Oni add-ons in Dead By Daylight
The Oni has some incredibly powerful add-ons that not only make his power last longer but can also help him track injured Survivors with ease. These are the best add-ons to use as the Oni:
A staple to the Oni, Lion Fang greatly increases the duration of Blood Fury.
Slightly decreases the cooldown for you to use your Demon Dash. It may not seem like much, but this add-on is a huge help in certain situations.
This add-on increases the frequency of Survivors dropping a blood orb by 33%. When the Oni has the Splintered Hull equipped, Survivors will also drop an additional blood orb when they throw pallets, exit lockers, crouch, or fail a skill check.
Renjiro's Bloody Glove
This add-on makes the Oni's blood orbs visible to all Survivors. The Survivors can consume the blood orbs by making contact with them, but they will also be revealed for two seconds.
Dead By Daylight The Oni tips and tricks
- Renjiro's Bloody Glove is a great add-on that punishes Survivors a lot. Many are tricked into consuming the blood orbs, not knowing that there is a great price for doing so. Use Renjiro's Bloody Glove wisely, and strategise your gameplay with it.
- Blood Fury automatically cancels when the Oni picks up a Survivor. Only pick up a Survivor if you want to preserve some of your power. Alternatively, you can also pick up a Survivor to negate the fatigue effect when the Blood Fury power ends.
- Demon Strike has a longer lunge attack than a normal basic attack, so don’t be afraid to lunge at a window even if you don't think you're going to hit it.
- Unlike The Hillbilly and The Demogorgon, the Oni does not get stunned when he uses his Demon Dash and hits objects like walls or vaults. So don't be afraid to turn around on them, even if those tight corners might be difficult to manage, to get the best use of his ability.
- Oni has great speed so informational perks are fantastic with him. You have to use that speed tactically but you get rewarded for doing it right.
So, that's all you need to know about the best The Oni builds in Dead by Daylight. Be sure to check back regularly to see how your build could be improved. In the meantime, be sure to check out the killers we wish to see in Dead by Daylight soon, or some games like DBD for when you need a break from the Fog.
For even more, check out our Dead By Daylight killers tier list to see where your favourite ranks. We've also got a guide on the best Michael Myers build in the game, as well as some awesome free codes to use.