Update - 06/08/21:
Neon Giant has released a series of updates for Steam players.
Various bugs, glitches, gameplay, and visual improvements have been added through the patch. While crash fixes have been implemented for co-op play.
Despite the update only being available for Steam at this current moment, the extensive patch will be added to Xbox and Windows 10 users very soon.
The full patch notes include:
Performance (PC Steam & Win10 only)
- Fixes to improve performance in DX12, also with Ray Tracing.
- Note to Players: on first running of the update, there will be a 20-25 second ‘stall’ on loading to Main Menu to allow some caching to happen before you play. This is a one time event.
- Ray Tracing is now available to Players on the Windows Store.
- Improved loading in of NPCs
- CPU performance mode for lower-end PCs
Stability (all platforms)
- Numerous instances of ‘one time’ crashes have been fixed in both Single Player & Coop on ALL Platforms. (some other instances remain, we are working hard to resolve these for the next update).
- Local Coop fixes where Player 1 and Player 2 have controller focus issues on certain menus.
- Numerous other crash-fixes have been made to improve the stability of both local and online Coop, including fixes when disconnecting controllers, issues when 3 Players start a new game, and fixes when the internet connection becomes unstable.
- Fixed an issue where in certain circumstances a black screen would appear at the end of Mission 12.
- Fixed an issue where sometimes it takes too long to return to the Main Menu after gameplay.
- Fixed issues where Area loading is slower for the Client joining the game after the Host is using the Taxi.
- Fixed some Weapon replication issues in Online Coop.
- Fixed some issues around cross Platform hotjoining where Clients had trouble connecting to the Host.
Save Progress (all platforms)
- Introduced a new system to circumvent situations where save files could become corrupted.
- Fixes to situations in Coop where the Host leaving the game could cause the Client to lose progress.
- Fixes to situations in Coop where Players may experience progression blockers in certain situations.
- Fixed the issue where a Client's items would unequip after a Host disconnects.
- Fixed an issue where a Client may lose connection when hotjoining a game in progress.
Gameplay (all platforms)
- Fixed an Achievement issue where you could unlock Main Mission and Side Mission under incorrect conditions.
- Fixed an issue where the mission objective during ‘Go To Grinder’ in Mission 2 would not update.
- The issue where multiple bosses could spawn has been fixed. e.g. Papa Feral, Megarachnoid (Spider Boss), Gun-Dolph.
- Fixed the Casino Courier Side Missions 1 - 5 where you could sometimes be unable to proceed due to missing NPCs.
- Fixed the custom camera for ‘Dark Horse’ Side Mission.
- Fixed the custom camera for Bartender in Stimtown.
- Fixed the situation where sometimes ‘Dark Horse’ could not be completed due to the NPC remaining in a frightened state.
- Fixed an issue where the Volatile Augmentation when used on neutrals had no effect.
- Fixed an issue where the Siege Mech in the Prison could despawn after a Player died.
- Fixed the issue where the Snooze Dealer’s Journal map icon was a white square.
- Fixed damage scaling on the Pocket Mech minigun to make it more powerful as you level up.
- Allows the use of certain augmentations while rolling.
- Balanced cost/cooldown/efficiency of Life Transfer, Neutron Beam and Overclock
- Fixed issues with PLUG Cyberdeck not cracking ICE 1.
Translation (all platforms)
- Lots of fixes have been made to address instances where English would appear instead of the correct language.
- Further work is continuing to improve the quality of the translations as well as further general bug fixes.
- Fixed an issue in Japanese where text overlapped in the intro cut-scene.
Assorted other fixes (all platforms)
Fixed an issue where sometimes in Dreamworld, shooting SFX without enemies being present could be heard.
- Fixed an issue where the death-screen replaced the SFX & VO after defeating the Megarachnoid.
- Cyberdeck visible in Journal
- News now plays in the Taxi
- Film Grain toggle added to the Graphics menu
- Fixed the Dismemberer shooting SFX that could be missing for Clients.
- Fixed previews for Auto Turret and Pocket Mech in Vendors.
- Fixed Cluster 13’s Metrolink entrances collision box.
- Various UI fixes.
Original story follows:
Initially set to launch with the Xbox Series X|S, the cyberpunk RPG, The Ascent was released last week. Highlighting its "interconnected world, world-building, and exciting combat", we awarded The Ascent an impressive 4.5 out of 5.
Despite its accolades, many players are running into issues when trying to access the game's co-op features.
Read More: The Ascent: How to Spend Basic Components
The Ascent's Multiplayer Is Causing Problems For Players
Some players are finding it difficult to run the RPG's online co-op features.
Many problems have been reported but what particularly stands out are:
- Frozen or white screens.
- Loss of items or skins after leaving multiplayer sessions.
- Graphics and visual pop-ins.
- Difficulties joining new games.
- Issues hosting new games.
- Invites which return users back to the main menu.
A group of players pointed out how a majority of Game Pass subscribers running the game are facing these issues.
Developer Neon Giant has responded to the issues, telling Kotaku that multiplayer solutions are being worked on:
The items you’ve mentioned are on our list of known issues and we’re actively working on fixes. We’re not able to provide a timeline at this stage but we are fully committed to fixing and improving all these items and we will aim to let you know once we have more details.
It has also been discovered that the PC's Game Pass version of The Ascent lacks various aspects compared to the Steam title, "notably ray-tracing, DLSS, and even longer load times." Neon Giant is also working on a fix for this problem.