The event originated in 2017 to celebrate Summer Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere and Winter Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere.
Here's what we know about this year's Solstice event.
Pokemon Go Solstice Event
While it's unclear what will occur this year, during the 2017 event, Fire- and Ice-type Pokémon had increased spawns.
This meant that Pokémon like Charmander, Cyndaquil, Growlithe, Houndour, Ponyta, Swinub, Vulpix and their evolutions appeared more frequently; including rare Pokemon like Sneasel, Magmar and Cloyster.
Trainers also received XP bonuses for catching Pokemon with Nice, Great and Excellent Throws, as well as capturing with Curveballs and on their first throw.
Finally, Hatching eggs rewarded players with triple XP.
A number of new Pokemon have been added to the game since, so we will likely see a new rotation of Pokemon featured in this event.
New Research breakthrough events will be added and new quests will be available for players to gain rewards.
Dates & Times
The solstice-themed event will run from Friday, June 19, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, June 24, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time.
Solrock And Lunatone Migration
In a recent datamine, code has been found that suggest Solrock and Lunatone are migrating regions:
RESOURCE ID: solrock_lunatone_regionsTEXT: Lunatone and Solrock appearing in different regions
This makes sense with the upcoming Solstice Event coming into play, it's likely this will happen during the event.
New Information - 13th June
In a blog post by the official Pokemon Go team; they clarified all the questions people have had with the latest event,
Let's go over some of the details they gave us!
- Pokémon associated with the sun and moon—including Clefairy, Sunkern, and more—will be appearing more frequently in the wild, hatching from 5 km Eggs, appearing after completing event-exclusive Field Research tasks, and appearing in raids. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Clefairy! Previously, you could get a Shiny Clefairy only by hatching a Shiny Cleffa and evolving it, so this will be the first time you’ll have a chance to encounter Shiny Clefairy in the wild.
- Throughout the event, Lunatone and Solrock will both be appearing in three-star raids and hatching from 5 km Eggs, regardless of your location.
- Lunatone and Solrock will be appearing in the wild in different regions. See the schedule below for details on when Lunatone or Solrock will be appearing in the wild near you.
- From Friday, June 19, at 8:00 a.m. to Saturday, June 20, at 11:59 p.m. local time, Lunatone will appear more frequently in the wild in the eastern hemisphere and Solrock in the western hemisphere.
- From Sunday, June 21, at 12:00 a.m. to Monday, June 22, at 11:59 p.m. local time, Lunatone and Solrock will be appearing more frequently in the wild everywhere.
- From Tuesday, June 23, at 12:00 a.m. to Wednesday, June 24, at 10:00 p.m. local time, Lunatone and Solrock will be swapping hemispheres. Lunatone will be appearing more frequently in the wild in the western hemisphere and Solrock in the eastern hemisphere.
- Once the event is over, Lunatone will stay in the western hemisphere and Solrock will stay in the eastern hemisphere.
- 2× Catch Stardust