On Saturday, April 24, the Friendship Day event will go live in Pokemon GO. On the official Pokemon GO blog, Friendship Day is described as, "a new event that’s all about having fun with your friends and enjoying various bonuses while playing Pokémon GO."
It also sounds like this Friendship Day is only the first of more to come. In the description, Grass-types are listed as the main focus for the first-ever Friendship Day. That leaves room for further Friendship Day events centered around Water-types, Fire-types, and anything in between within Pokemon GO.
Pokemon GO Friendship Day 2021 Event
One of the main features during the event will be a new collection challenge for players to complete. Collection challenges typically have a handful of Pokemon for players to catch during that day or week, and an Elite Collector Medal is given upon completion. There are more bonuses and features to go along with during the Friendship Day event.
Friendship Day Features
- Grass-type Pokemon appear more often in Pokemon GO.
- Complete the Friendship Day collection for 100,000 XP.
- Hourly friendship challenges that reward 20,000 XP.
- Green confetti on the Pokemon GO map during the event.
Friendship Day bonuses
- Increased chances of receiving Lucky Pokemon when trading with a friend.
- Trade Distance increased to 40 km.
- A 3x XP bonus for catching Pokemon will be active.
- Incense used during the event will last for 3 hours.
- Lures used during the event will last for 3 hours.
Friendship Day will run on that Saturday only, and the hours will go from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm local time. Some bonuses will last until 5:00 pm local time that same day in Pokemon GO.