If you’re a regular player of AR mobile monster catching simulator Pokémon GO, research breakthroughs are a part and parcel of your daily routine. However, with the rewards for your weekly research breakthroughs changing every month, it can be a little confusing, even if you’re a seasoned player.
Hitting your weekly Pokémon GO research breakthrough is pretty simple, you just need to complete seven field research tasks on different days. You can get Pokémon GO field research tasks by spinning PokéStops, and currently players are given one for free every day as a part of Pokémon GO’s pandemic changes. This is a godsend for rural players, but could be disappearing soon as Niantic reverts its systems.
If you complete a field research task every day, you can unlock a research breakthrough every seven days, which usually grants a better reward. However, much like the Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours and Pokémon GO raid bosses, the rewards for completing both field research tasks and your weekly research breakthroughs regularly change.
Pokémon GO Research Breakthrough Reward: August 2021
The Pokémon GO research breakthrough reward for August 2021 is Chimecho. For anyone who didn't manage to grab a shiny during Pokémon GO Fest 2021, you've got four or five more chances throughout the month.
At the moment, you'll also get a free Remote Raid Pass when you claim your Research Breakthrough rewards, perfect for tackling any of the legendary Pokémon currently in raids.
Pokémon GO Field Research Tasks: August 2021
Here is a full list of Pokémon GO field research tasks and rewards for July 2021. Bear in mind that these may change during events, for example Pokémon GO Fest 2021 will likely introduce some event-specific field research tasks.
Here are the tasks and rewards - note that an asterisk next to a Pokémon name means it could be shiny:
Catching Tasks Field Research tasks
- Catch 5 Pokemon: Jigglypuff*
- Catch 7 Pokemon: Magikarp*
- Catch a Dragon-type Pokémon: Dratini* or Bagon*
- Catch 5 different species of Pokémon: Tympole
- Catch 5 Pokemon with Weather Boost: Hippopotas*, Poliwag*, Snover*, or Vulpix*
Buddy Field Research tasks
- Earn 5 hearts with your Buddy: Shroomish
- Earn 2 candies walking with your buddy: Bunnelby*
- Earn 3 candies walking with your buddy: Stunfisk
- Earn 5 candies walking with your buddy: Gligar*
Throwing Field Research tasks
- Make 5 Nice throws: Dunsparce*
- Make 3 Great throws: Anorith*, Lileep*, or Snubbull*
- Make 3 Great throws in a row: Onix*
- Make 5 Great Curveball throws in a row: Spinda*
- Make 3 Excellent throws in a row: Gible*
- Use 3 Pinap Berries while catching Pokémon: Kricketot*
Battle & Raid Field Research tasks
- Battle in GO Battle League: Machoke
- Defeat a Team GO Rocket Leader: Absol*
- Win a Raid in under 60 seconds: Alolan Exeggutor*
- Win a Level 3 or higher Raid: Omanyte* or Kabuto*
- Win 5 Raids: Aerodactyl*
Friend Field Research tasks
- Send 3 Gifts to Friends: Kakuna or Metapod
- Trade a Pokemon: Wurmple*
Additional Field Research tasks
- Hatch an egg: Mantine
- Hatch 2 eggs: Audino or Beldum*
- Evolve a Pokemon: Eevee*
- Power up Pokemon 3 times: Bulbasaur*, Charmander*, or Squirtle*
- Power up Pokémon 5 times: Chikorita*, Cyndaquil*, or Totodile*
- Power up a Pokémon 7 times: Treecko*, Torchic*, or Mudkip*
- Spin 3 PokéStops or Gyms: Sudowoodo*
- Spin 5 PokéStops or Gyms: Ralts* or Whismur
- Take a snapshot of wild Pokemon: Hoppip, Murkrow*, or Yanma*
- Take 5 snapshots of wild Normal-type Pokémon: Bidoof*
That's all of July's field research tasks, and their rewards. We'll keep this page updated with any event tasks or updates to what's already written here, so check back if you're confused as to which are worth completing.