The core component of Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is battling, especially taking on gym battles. The third of these gyms is Veilstone City Gym, with leader Maylene, a master of fighting-type Pokémon, but you'll have to solve the maze-like Veilstone City Gym puzzle first to be able to battle with or rematch her.
In this guide, we explain how to solve the Veilstone City Gym puzzle, beat Maylene, and how to later beat her in a rematch.
How To Beat Veilstone City Gym and Maylene
Before you can even engage in a battle with Maylene, you'll have to solve the Veilstone City Gym puzzle and battle some Trainers first. You'll end up battling all four Trainers as you work to solve the puzzle. The puzzle can be a tad troubling, so here are some steps to help you:
- In the lower, middle square, move the first wall left.
- Between the lower and upper middle square, move the wall there to the left,
- Travel up from here, between the upper-right and upper-middle square, and move the wall here to the left.
- Between the lower-middle and lower-right square, move the wall by the tyre to the right.
- In the upper-left corner, move the wall above the upper-left square to the right.
- Go to the space between the lower-left and lower-middle square, then move the second wall in the lower-left square to the left.
- Head to the left of the lower-left square, and move the first wall in the square to the right.
- Run through the left-most squares to reach the very top wall, move this to the right.
- Enter the lower-right square, and move the wall in it to the right.
- Between the upper-middle and upper-right square, move the wall here to the right.
- Then, head to the right-most walkway and make your way to the wall that is between the upper-right and lower-right squares. Move the wall to the left.
- Enter the upper-right square, moving the first wall in it to the right.
- Run up the right-most walkway, and move the wall above the upper-right square to the left.
- Run through the right-most squares, and the first wall above the upper-middle square needs to be moved to the left.
- Once this is done, you can run through back down all the right-most squares and then up through all the middle squares and meet with Maylene!
Now, your only remaining task after completing the Veilstone City Gym puzzle is to go head-to-head with Maylene herself. Here are the three Pokémon she throws at you, their type, approximate level, and weaknesses:
|Meditite||Fighting, Psychic||27||Flying, Ghost, Fairy|
|Machoke||Fighting||27||Flying, Psychic, Fairy|
|Lucario||Fighting, Steel||30||Ground, Fire, Fighting|
How To Rematch Veilstone City Gym and Maylene
After defeating the Elite Four and Cynthia in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, you'll be crowned the Sinnoh Champion. You will then be able to return to each gym across the Sinnoh Region and rematch all leaders.
Here is Maylene's second party of Pokémon that you'll need to prepare for:
|Heracross||Fighting, Bug||54||Flying, Fire, Psychic, Fairy|
|Infernape||Fighting, Fire||61||Water, Flying, Ground, Psychic|
|Hitmontop||Fighting||64||Flying, Psychic, Fairy|
|Breloom||Fighting, Grass||68||Fire, Flying, Poison, Psychic, Ice, Fairy|
|Medicham||Fighting, Psychic||72||Flying, Ghost, Fairy|
|Lucario||Fighting, Steel||74||Ground, Fire, Fighting|
That's all there is to beating and rematching with Maylene of Veilstone Gym in Pokémon Briliant Diamond and Shining Pearl! To try and get your hands on some cool Pokémon between all the battling you'll be doing, we recommend looking for fossils and evolution stones by exploring the Grand Underground.