Update April 6 - Two new Legendary skins have been revealed. Full details added further down.
Original Story - Overwatch is no stranger to events, with Lunar New Year and Winter Wonderland just passed, what's next? Players will be happy to know that the Overwatch Archives Events is coming up, the question is, what is it, when does it start? Well, we've covered all of that below!
READ MORE: Is Overwatch 2 Coming To Nintendo Switch?
Overwatch Archives 2021
Overwatch Archives originally released in 2017 although it was called Uprising, it was a great way for the devs to give players a deeper understanding of the lore, whilst making it fun through missions. This has since become a regular event and is one that many players look forward to, not only because of their love for the title and story but also because it brings some cool cosmetics too! Overwatch 2's lore is actually heavily based and leading on from the Archives events.
Update - Overwatch Archives 2021 Event Starts on April 6 and will end on April 27.
[Original Story - There is no official release date for Archives 2021 yet, we'll have to wait on an announcement from Blizzard which usually happens a few days beforehand. Looking back on the last event it started on March 12th of last year, up until the 2nd of April, as we are already past that starting date no doubt we'll hear some news soon enough.
In past years though, the event has started just after the first week of April. We imagine the same will happen this year, with the event started on either April 8 or April 15.]
Though no official start time has been confirmed for the Overwatch Archives Event in 2021, we would normally expect to see new events begin in the evening for players in the UK.
This means the event should begin on Tuesday April 2 at roughly 6pm BST.
Archives 2021 New Skins
Though the event has been confirmed for April 6, the trailer (which you can view further down) does not appear to show any new Overwatch Archives skins.
Even if this was another retread of the past event, we would still expect to see 'something' new.
The first new skin for Archives 2021 has been revealed. Take a look at Legendary Mousquetaire Widowmaker.
The second new skin for the Overwatch Archives 2021 event has been revealed. This time around it's a new Legendary Skin for Genji.
- Bear (Mei) - Weekly Reward Skin
- Holi (Symmetra) - Weekly Reward Skin
- Rustclad (Torbjorn) - Weekly Reward Skin
- Aviator (Pharah) - 1000 Coins
- King Jamison (Junkrat) - 1000 Coins
- Militia (Roadhog) - 1000 Coins
- Sniper (Ana) - 1000 Coins
- Workout (Zarya) - 1000 Coins
- Circus (Junkrat) - 250 Coins
- High Roller (Wrecking Ball) - 250 Coins
- Racer (Zarya) - 250 Coins
- Deadlock (McCree) - 1000 Coins
- Formal: 76 (Soldier: 76) - 1000 Coins
- Gwinshin (Bastion) - 1000 Coins
- Scientist (Moira) - 1000 Coins
- Socialite (Ashe) - 1000 Coins
- Talon (Baptiste) - 1000 Coins
- Blackwatch (Moira) - 1000 Coins
- Equalizer (Lucio) - 1000 Coins
- Pajamei (Mei) - 1000 Coins
- Scion (Hanzo) - 1000 Coins
- Soldier: 24 (Reaper) - 1000 Coins
- Specimen 28 (Winston) - 1000 Coins
- Talon (Doomfist) - 1000 Coins
- Talon (Sombra) - 1000 Coins
- Lieutenant Wilhelm (Reinhardt) - 250 Coins
- Null Sector (Bastion) - 250 Coins
- Blackwatch (McCree) - 1000 Coins
- Blackwatch (Genji) - 1000 Coins
- Cadet Oxton (Tracer) - 1000 Coins
- Chief Engineer Lindholm (Torbjorn) - 1000 Coins
- Combat Media Ziegler (Mercy) - 1000 Coins
- Ironclad (Torbjorn) - 1000 Coins
- Null Sector (Oris) - 1000 Coins
- Talon (Widowmaker) - 1000 Coins
Update April 4 - The new Overwatch Archives Event for 2021 has been confirmed and it doesn't look like it will contain any 'new' story content. The trailer, which shows highlights of past years content, suggests that for the second year running, we'll be playing older content. You can see for yourself on the Tweet shown below.
Original Story - As with previous events, players will get a new LTM (limited-time mode) to play, in the last Archives each week was based around a specific hero and their lore. These modes are PVE and have a maximum of four spaces in a team. We aren't sure what this year's LTM will be based around, or who but we know it will be against AI and will involve some of Overwatch's history. Players will also be able to play the old missions in previous Archives events.
New Weekly Challenges
Although they haven't been announced yet, we suspect we will see new weekly challenges added as part of the new Archives Event.
Not familiar with how this works? Each week Blizzard adds three challenges for players to complete. Each challenge will reward players based on how many wins you rack up in Quick Play, Competitive Play, or the Arcade. 3 wins earns you an Event Player Icon, 6 wins gives you an Event Spray and 9 wins rewards you with an Event Epic Skin.
If you're new to Overwatch or a long time player, it may be worth looking into the next title in the series, Overwatch 2, find out more on the link.