New World presents a big, colorful world with lots of things to do, such as adventuring quests, dungeons to explore, and professions to develop. One of those professions involves Fishing, which will see you using a fishing pole in certain hotspots across the map, to obtain possible ingredients for cooking and crafting recipes.
Read More: New World Fruit and Vegetables Guide
How to Create Fishing Poles in New World
Fishing Poles are the primary tool you will need to fish in New World. To obtain this useful item, you can finish the first fishing story, Fishing With Shields, or just ignore that and make one at the Workshop with the following materials:
- Green Wood
How to Obtain Bait
The second item you need to fish in New World is the Bait, which you can add to the fishing pole while you're fishing, in order to get several different boosts. You can obtain various kinds of bait, and the list goes as follows:
|Item Name||Effect||Area Of Effect||Source|
|Bread Bait||Small boost (+47%) higher fish rarity chance||Fresh Water||Kitchen Tier 2+, Provisions Containers|
|Cheese Bait||Small boost (+47%) higher fish rarity chance||Salt Water||Kitchen Tier 2+, Provisions Containers|
|Clam Bait||Medium boost (+300%) higher fish size chance||Fresh Water||Clams|
|Electric Eel Bait||Large boost (+500%) higher fish size chance||Salt Water||Electric Eels|
|Firefly Bait||Large boost (+85%) higher fish rarity chance||Fresh Water||Bulrush & Briar|
|Fish Bait||Small boost (+150%) higher fish size chance||Salt Water||Kitchen Tier 2+, Camp Tier 1+|
|Glowworm Bait||Large boost (+85%) higher fish rarity chance||Salt Water||Flint (Night/Dawn)|
|Meat Bait||Small boost (+150%) higher fish size chance||Fresh Water||Kitchen Tier 2+, Camp Tier 1+|
|Nightcrawler Bait||Medium boost (+70%) higher fish rarity chance||Salt Water||Flint (Day/Dusk)|
|Oyster Bait||Large boost (+500%) higher fish size chance||Fresh Water||Oysters|
|Snail Bait||Medium boost (+300%) higher fish size chance||Fresh Water||Snails|
|Woodlouse Bait||Medium boost (+70%) higher fish rarity chance||Fresh Water||Bushes|
How to Find Fishing Hotspots
There are fishing hotspots in New World, with different rarities that will determine which fishes appear and the respawn times in each one of them. As you level up Fishing, these hotspots will be discoverable in map, adding to a max amount of 80, with 27 of them being Broad, 25 being Rare, and 28 of Secret rarity. You can track all of them using Map Genie's excellent New World Aeternum Guide, and the respawn times of each hotspot are shown below.
|Fishing Hotspot Rarity||Respawn Time|
|Broad||20 to 30 minutes|
|Rare||30 to 45 minutes|
|Secret||45 to 90 minutes|
How to Fish in New World?
To successfully catch some fishes in New World you must follow the instructions below:
- First and foremost, you must equip a Fishing Pole tool. Your first Fishing Pole can be obtained after finishing the first fishing story, Fishing With Shields, or by making one at the Workshop.
- Find water, stand right at the edge, and click F3 to pull out your pole and bait. You can also click R to add bait to the line if needed.
- Hold the left mouse button to cast your line, and release it when you're comfortable with the distance. When the line lands in a hotspot, you will see text indicating it, and a prompt saying "Get Ready" will pop up if you're about to bite.
- Click the left mouse button again to hook the fish, and be fast because you will have a short time window to succeed. If you miss the hook, you will have to repeat the process, but if you succeeded you will see a green checkmark, with a prompt saying "Reel In" popping up.
- Do it, paying attention to the tension of the line, and as long as you don't let it snap you should be fine and finish the fishing process, where you will receive the fish in question, as well as Fishing XP and Character XP.