Monster Hunter Rise offers 14 different weapons to hunt its slate of monsters with. Each has a slightly different playstyle, offering real depth and variety in the ways you approach a hunt. The Insect Glaive allows players to command insects called Kinsects that absorb essence from your prey and buff yourself.
To help you get the most out of this weapon we’ve put together this Monster Hunter Rise Insect Glaive guide. We’ll give you some tips on using the Insect Glaive, break down those all-important controls you have to master, highlight some choice combos to execute, and walkthrough the new Silkbind attacks available too.
- A - High Thrust
- X - Mid Thrust
- Y - Sheathe
- B - Dodge
- A + X - Wide Sweep
- ZR - Guard
- ZR + left (d-pad) + A - Guard Dash
- ZR + X + A - Dash Attack
- ZR + A - Counter-thrust
The best way to ensure maximum damage in Monster Hunter Rise is to string together combos. Here are all of the combos associated with the Insect Glaive.
Basic Thrust Triple Combo
- X + X + X + B
Closing Attacks while Guarding
- ZR + left (d-pad) + X to A + X + X
Endless Thrusting Combo
- ZR + A + A + A to ZR + A
- The strength of the Insect Glaive is in its incredible mobility.
- You can dodge in mid-air, and 'pole-vaulting' makes it a prime choice for mounting monsters.
- Pair that with the Kinesct, capable of inflicting status effects (and even healing), and you're set for a support role, too.
- The only real downside is that the Insect Glaive doesn't offer much in the way of DPS. Its attacks are fast, but don't deal a great deal of damage, so you may have to be prepared for a long hunt when playing solo.
New to Monster Hunter Rise are Silkbind attacks. These will consume Wirebugs, and will deal damage indicated with blue circles. Build these up to tie down monsters and trigger mountable states.
Here are the Silkbind attacks for the Insect Glaive:
- ZL + X = Silkbind Vault
- ZL + A = Recall Kinsect
- ZL + A = Diving Wyvern
Now here's a bit more info on how each works:
- Silkbind Vault - Fly freely through the sky. A leaping attack that spins forwards. Follow up with a Jumping Slash, a Jumping Advancing Slash, or even a Midair Evade.
- Recall Kinsect - The silk heals all. Calls back your Kinsect while dodging. As it returns, it will perform spinning attacks that scatter healing extracts. Its stamina will fully recover once it gets back to its master.
- Diving Wyvern - Can be switched out with Recall Kinsect. A devastating dive attack that uses a Wirebug to pull you downward with great force. The attack has a small damage radius, but that means the damage is highly focused.
That's all you need to know about this weapon. Visit our Monster Hunter Rise Walkthrough to find all of our guides in one handy place.