With Modern Warfare now out, players are diving into the grittiest campaign in franchise history.
In particular, newcomers and veteran players alike can expect one of the most serious storylines in franchise history.
The Modern Warfare 2019 campaign is set to hold back the least among the games in Call of Duty history.
Modern Warfare isn’t short of controversial moments,and you can see some of them here.
WATCH NOW: OUR GUN GUIDES DOWN BELOW TO IMPROVE YOUR MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE
Modern Warfare 2019 A Prequel To Infinite Warfare? (SPOILERS)
Modern Warfare 2019 is theorised to be an Infinite Warfare prequel. TheGamingRevolution has connected the dots on a few Task Force 141 connections, from Infinite Warfare, that ties the games together.
In the first instance, a poster from Infinite Warfare refers to the time Task Force 141 rescued President Boris Vorshevsky in the Modern Warfare 3 campaign.
It is also referenced within the reincarnation of the Intervention sniper rifle from the Infinite Warfare multiplayer, renamed as the 'TF-141'.
However, we've been directly told that this Modern Warfare is not set in the same timeline as the original trilogy.
What really ties this Modern Warfare game to Infinite Warfare is the fact that the main Antagonist is called General Roman Barkov.
In the Infinte Warfare campaign the main antaginist was called Radoslav Barkov, which is being theorised as a distant relative to Roman.
The likelihood is that the new Modern Warfare will set up the events for Infinite Warfare but nothing is concrete yet.
In a desperate mission, Captain Price and the SAS will partner alongside the CIA and the Urzikstani Liberation Force to retrieve stolen chemical weapons.
The heart-racing fight will take you from London to the Middle East and other global locations, as this joint task force battles to stop full-scale global war.
How Does The Modern Warfare 2019 Campaign Work?
We’ve heard rumours that the Modern Warfare 2019 Spec Ops mode had a degree of open world to it, this doesn’t seem to be the case in the campaign, but it does offer a plenty of choice. You can approach each mission the way you like, both guns blazing or with stealth.
Every decision you make will impact the gameplay and the message of the game is the horror of war.
The environment is also interactable. You will be responsible for opening and closing doors as you make your way through the story as well as a destructible environment.
Another leak from the PC beta files has given us information on what achievements to expect:
- Ashes To Ashes: Burn 4 enemies with a single Molotov.
- Got Something On Your Face: Spit On Barkov.
- Press [BOOM] To Defuse: Blow up 3 Tripwires with explosives.
- Companion Block: Only use one cinder block and bring it to the end of the mission.
- Dodged A Bullet: Never get hit by a sniper while escaping captivity.
- Driver’s Ed: Shoot the driver of the Suicide Truck.
- Tea Time: Finish single player on any difficulty.
- Nothing but Net: Neutralize the ‘Fog of War’ machine gun with a frag grenade.
- Golden Path: Complete ‘Clean House’ without being hit using one bullet per threat.
- Hang Time: Kill 3 Enemies while on a ladder.
- Hot Swap: Get at least one kill with eight different weapons when completing ‘Old Comrades’.
- Lights Out: Shut off the power to 4 buildings.
- Love from Above: Destroy 4 trucks with 4 drone strikes before they reach the end of their path.
- Trigger Discipline: Do not injure any civilians in ‘Piccadilly’.
- We Own The Night: Kill all enemies at the Church, Clocktower, and Pool without anyone calling for backup.
- You Forgot The Pickles: Kill an enemy by throwing back their own grenade.
- Long Way Down: Crash a Helicopter by shooting the Pilot.
- PitStop: Stop three APCs with Hadir’s sniper rifle.
- Play Dead: Kill all the enemies in the field of dead bodies.
- Good Effect On Target: Kill an enemy with a direct hit from a smoke grenade.
- Circus Tour: Kill at least one enemy while inside The Reading Place, Aural Chic and both Subway undergrounds.
- Tunnel Rat: Complete ‘The Wolf’s Den’ tunnels using only the 1911.
- Two Birds: Kill both soldiers with one shot in ‘Hometown’.
- Out of the Fire: Finish the single-player on veteran difficulty.
- Wall Hax: Save Alpha 3-3 from being downed.
- Warheads on Foreheads: Reach the lab entrance using only drone strikes.
- Wild Fire: Takedown a flying Helicopter with a Molotov.
The campaign will feature 'missions' in order to unlock rewards and bonus items.
Missions are multi-step challenges that can be completed for XP rewards and bonus special rewards. At launch, there will be a set of missions that you can chose and activate. You can only have one mission activated at a time.
Each Mission Challenge will have between 5-8 objectives. Completing each objective will earn you XP bonuses or a cosmetic item. Every single Mission Challenge has a final loot reward: a special cosmetic weapon variant.
The cosmetic weapon variant is different for each of the Mission Challenges you complete.
Objectives within each mission feature different things like get 30 personal radars or get 30 kills with an Assault Rifle providing additional things to work towards in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Again, this is all for just playing the game.
What Characters Are There And Who Will Return From The Original Modern Warfare? (SPOILERS)
Characters will be returning to Modern Warfare 2019, other than Captain Price. There was also confirmation that Task Force 141 is back as the leaked files of the campaign epilogue were leaked from the PC beta - here are the confirmed returning and new characters:
- Captain Price
- General Roman Barkov - one of the main antagonists of the campaign and described as "a rogue general that has the correct intentions but gone off the rails in his effort to get what he wants.
- General Shepherd
- Zakhaev - only referenced, but not in the game itself, probably in a sequel
- Victor - could be Imran Zakhaev's son
- Sergeant Garrick - Gaz
- John MacTavish - Soap
- Simon Riley - Ghost
A few months ago we were informed Sergeant Griggs and Nikolai will return, as well as Gary “Roach” Sanderson; it is likely the remaining characters may come back in later Modern Warfare games.
You can find out what happens at the end of the Modern Warfare 2019 epilogue below and how it sets up for a sequel.
Written ByChris Trout@TheTrout91
READ MORE BELOW FOR OUR GUIDE ON THE MK2 AND ITS ATTACHMENTS