A new Minecraft 1.17 Snapshot has been released on March 31 with plenty of new features and changes to the games current Caves and Cliffs snapshot.
If you're new to the world of Minecraft it's ok to ask 'what is a Minecraft Snapshot?'.
Well, Snapshots are available for Minecraft: Java Edition. This is a testing ground for the game. This way the developers can test any changes they make to the game before it's eventually released to the games Bedrock Edition.
The Bedrock Edition is the default version of the game available for PS4, Xbox One, Windows PC, Nintendo Switch and mobile.
Mojang developers normally use these new Java Snapshot updates to test upcoming features with the help of the community. At the moment, most updates are aimed at testing new features for the games 1.17 Caves and Cliffs update.
Below you'll find a complete rundown of the games latest patch notes for Snapshot 21W13A.
How To Get Minecraft's New 1.17 Snapshot?
Snapshots are available for Minecraft: Java Edition. To install the snapshot, open up the Minecraft Launcher and enable snapshots in the "Installations" tab.
Snapshots can corrupt your world, so please backup and/or run them in a different folder from your main worlds.
New 1.17 Features in Minecraft 21W13A Snapshot
- Added the goat!
- Added an accessibility option
- Goats spawn in Mountains
- Goats can scale the sides of mountains with their incredible jumps!
- Goats can be tempted and bred using Wheat
- Goats are another source of milk!
- Added an alternative solid black background color for the Mojang Studios loading screen, toggleable with the “Monochrome Logo” accessibility option
Changes in Minecraft 21W13A Snapshot
- Tweaks to Caves
- Tweaks to Ore Distribution
- Tweaks to Powdered Snow
- Dripstone clusters can now be found rarely in normal caves
- Deepslate blobs can now be found between heights 0 and 16
- Axolotls and glow squids now spawn in underground water sources
- Axolotls will now always chase after and attack squids, glow squids, tropical fish, cod, salmon, pufferfish, drowned, guardians, and elder guardians
- Axolotls now have a two-minute cooldown after hunting non-hostile targets such as fish, squids, etc.
- They will prioritize targeting hostile mobs first before hunting.
- Bees now see Flowering Azalea (and Flowering Azalea Leaves) as flowers
- Additions to Wandering Trader and Mason trades
- Additions to chest loot tables
- Mineshaft tweak: increased the max length of pillars and chains.
- Carver tweaks: made carvers less likely to be too flat to walk through.
- Noise cave tweaks:
- Increased likelihood of megacaves (large cheese caves)
- Reduced likelihood of toothpick pillars (tall 1-block thin pillars)
- Other tweaks to make the cheese caves more varied and interesting.
ORE DISTRIBUTION TWEAKS
- Slightly more iron
- Larger diamond blobs sometimes form
- Powder snow’s durability/hardness was slightly increased
- Freeze time has decreased to 7 seconds and hurt frequency has decreased to 2 seconds
- Entities on fire now melt Powder Snow when colliding
- Increase vertical movement speed within Powder Snow
- Strays, Polar Bears, and Snow Golems are now immune to freezing
- Mobs now shake when they are fully frozen
- Skeletons converting to strays now only require the 7 seconds it takes for an entity to be fully frozen to begin converting, instead of the 30 seconds it took before
- Leather horse armor now protects horses from freeze damage
- Mobs that enjoy the heat (Blazes, Magma Cubes, and Striders) take increased freeze damage
TRADE & LOOT TABLE ADDITIONS
Added the following trades to Mason:
- Will sell 4 Dripstone blocks for 1 emerald
- Added the following trades to Wandering Trader:
- Will sell 2 Pointed Dripstones for 1 emerald
- Will sell 2 Rooted Dirt for 1 emerald
- Will sell 2 Moss Blocks for 1 emerald
- Moss blocks can be found in Shipwreck chests
- Glow Berries can be found in Mineshaft chest minecarts
Technical Changes in Minecraft 21W13A Snapshot
- Added metric cube of light!
- Unused parts of code are no longer removed
- Op-only (/give) air-like waterloggable block
- Emits light at a level determined by block state
- Visible and targetable only when the item is held (similar to barrier)
- Right-click cycles light level
Fixed Bugs in Minecraft 21W13A Snapshot
Once again there's a long list of bug fixes in the new 21W13A Snapshot.
If you want the full lowdown on what has been fixed, we advise you to visit the official Minecraft website on the link.