It's that time of year again, World of Warcraft Pre-Patch time. This time, we're getting ready for the games next retail launch, Dragonflight. We have details around the WoW Dragonflight pre-patch. This includes the release date, and various details around what's coming to the game.
During the pre-patch period, the game undergoes some larger changes in preparation for the upcoming expansion. We typically will see this happen around a month out from expansion launch, and this is no different.
While you're here, if you're looking for more World of Warcraft content, then why not check out some of our Wrath of the Lich King Classic content. We have guides all of the dungeons, including Utgarde Keep, Violet Hold, and others. Also check out our class leveling guides, such as for our Paladin leveling guide, Death Knight leveling guide and Druid leveling guide.
When does WoW Dragonflight pre-patch release?
As we said earlier, the pre-patch period typically happens about a month out from release. The official launch date for the World of Warcraft Dragonflight pre-patch period is October 25, 2022. After a game wide maintenance period, the game will be live and will kick off the first phase of the pre-patch.
This first phase will last about three weeks, until November 16, 2022, which is when the second phase will kick off. This will run up until the launch of Dragonflight on November 28, 2022.
WoW Dragonflight pre-patch features
As for what's coming into the game, there's quite a bit of large changes you'll see on October 25th. Here's the list of phase one changes you'll want to check out.
- Talent System Revamp
- Players will be able to explore the newly revamped Talent Tree system, including the ability to save talent loadouts for different types of content.
- Heads-up Display User Interface (HUD UI) Changes
- The first phase of the large HUD updates goes live, and will give players the ability to customize the base UI.
- This includes the location and size of action bars, player frames and more.
- Accessibility Features
- A variety of new accessibility features will be introduced, including "Press and Hold" spellcasting, Interact Keys, Gamepad support, and more.
- Rated Solo Shuffle
- A new PvP Mode, previously a brawl, will now be a queueuable rated mode.
- You can earn the same rewards from this as 2v2 arena, 3v3 arena and rated battlegrounds
- New Race / Class combos
- Players selecting any playable race will now be able to select a rogue, priest or mage, with more combinations coming in the future.
There are quite a few big things to take on here, notably the Talent system revamp and the HUD customization features. You'll definitely want to get into game on launch day, and set up your new talent tree to get ready for the other events happening in phase two. Here's what's coming there.
- New Race / Class
- Dracthyr Evoker
- New Zone
- The Forbidden Reach will be available as the starting zone for the Dracthyr Evoker.
- New Dungeon
- Uldaman: Legacy of Tyr
- In-Game Events
- Primal Storms
Seeing that phase two is closer to launch, there's a lot of new content coming here. The Dracthy Evoker will be officially available to create and you'll be able go through the new intro zone for the race and class. Additionally, Blizzard is adding an entirely new dungeon, Uldaman: Legacy of Tyr. While we don't know if this is a remaster of the original Uldaman, or a new story telling in the same space, we'll have to wait and see.
Lastly, with all pre-patch periods, there will be an in-game event that sets up the story and helps transition players into the new expansion. This one is called Primal Storms, which involve new quests and world event content. Typically these events give great experience and are perfect for leveling up alt characters, so use this time to your advantage.
And that's all the information we have for you! As more information becomes available, be sure to check back as we'll update this guide with that as soon as it drops. While you're here, definitely check out our hub around Dragonflight to get all the most up to date information about the brand new expansion!
For more articles like this, take a look at our Hubs , World of Warcraft , and MMOs pages.