Pokemon Sword and Shield is the latest iteration of the much beloved franchise and has given us a wide array of quality of life features. One such feature is that of the Wild Area, the first ever open world aspect in a Pokemon core title.
Within this new zone, you can battle in the new Dynamax raid as well as catch a wide variety of Pokemon including Pokemon that may not have been that easy to obtain in previous games such as the gentle Lapras and the nefarious Gengar.
You can also see Pokemon in their true size as you walk around and nothing else really puts things into perspective more than running away from a massive Tyranitar.
Gengar, the dual-type Ghost/Poison Pokemon has been one of the most recognisable pocket monsters since the very beginning with Pokemon Red and Blue due to its strong stats and trademark smile. So...
Be sure to watch our wide variety of Pokemon content here!
How do we obtain a Gengar in Sword and Shield?
With a smile like that no wonder its popular
Since the very first games, trainers can obtain a Gengar by evolving a Haunter (evolves from Ghastly at Lvl25) through trading. This can be done locally or via the internet.
With Sword and Shield and the inclusion of the Wild Area, trainers can instead capture a Gengar from these areas if conditions are right:
- East Lake Axwell - Normal Weather, Overcast, Thunderstorm, Intense Sun, Snowstorm, Sandstorm and Heavy Fog.
- Giant’s Cap - Normal Weather, Overcast, Thunderstorm, Intense Sun, Snowstorm, Sandstorm and Heavy Fog.
It can also appear in a 5 star raid and it will be Level 55 - 60. So expect a fight!
How can we catch Ghastly and Haunter?
You can catch a Ghastly from these locations.
- Watchtower RuinsOverworld - Overcast, Raining, Thunderstorm, Snowstorm, Sandstorm and Heavy Fog.Non Overworld - Overcast
- Giant's Seat - Overworld - Overcast, Raining, Intense Sun and Heavy Fog.
- North Lake Miloch - Non-Overworld - Heavy Fog
- Hammerlocke Hills - Overworld - Heavy Fog
You can obtain a Haunter by evolving a Ghastly at level 25. Additionally you can catch one in these locations:
- Giant's Seat - Non-Overworld - Overcast (Lvl 30-35)
- Route 8 - Non-Overworld - All Weather (Lvl 38-40)
- Rolling Fields - Raining, Thunderstorm.
- Watchtower Ruins - Overcast, Raining, Thunderstorm, Snowstorm, Sandstorm and Heavy Fog.
Written byOllie East@EastOllie