Players were worried when patch notes were leaked for the upcoming New World MMO created by Amazon Games, which suggested some sort of pay-to-win system would be coming to the game.
A line in the patch notes reads "we may sell quality-of-life items or boosts that will help players improve their time spent leveling up their character and trade skill experience."
Amazon quickly addressed the issue in a statement where they said the shop will feature cosmetic items on launch and potentially some sort of rested XP and fast travel system in the future.
New World In-Game Store is Now Live on the Alpha After Facing Criticism for Selling Pay to Win Microtransactions
Today, New World again released a blog post alongside the release of the store for alpha players, detailing what they can expect and what the plan is for pay-to-win style microtransactions.
"Our plan for having an in-game store is to create an outlet for players who find enough value in store items that they are happy to purchase them. Our plan is not, and never will be, to create a feeling that store items are necessary to enjoy or compete in the game."
At launch, there will be themed cosmetic items across a variety of categories, visually on par with endgame gear, such as:
- Themed Apparel & Weapon Skins: Themed skins that can be applied to existing apparel or weapons to change their visual style.
- Housing Décor & House Pets: Decorative home furnishings and fun pets for your home.
- Emotes: New ways for you to express yourself through dance, gestures, and other unique animations.
- Dye packs: While many vibrant pigments are available to harvest to create dyes, additional colors will be available in the store.
- Company Crests: New designs will be available in the store to personalize your Company’s insignia.
"We won't consider selling anything other than cosmetic items until 2022 at the earliest."
It is a good sign to see Amazon let the game settle for the first few months and let the players enjoy the game naturally, before adding in experience boosts for the latecomers.
You can read the full blog post here, which details the developer's vision for the store.
The game is set to launch on August 31st.