Fortnite Update 14.20 is set to release today (23 September 2020) on PS4, Xbox One, PC, iOS, Android and Nintendo Switch.
This new update for the game was announced late Tuesday night via the Epic Games team on Twitter.
"A new update takes over. v14.20 is scheduled for tomorrow, September 23. Downtime will begin at 4 AM ET (08:00 UTC)."
For those in the United Kingdom, this means the game will be offline from 9am BST.
Typically server downtime for these sorts of updates last a couple of hours. In fact a quick check of the Epic Games server status page would suggest the game is offline until 11am BST.
This isn't set in stone though, and it's possible - as with any period of server maintenance in video games - that the server maintenance could be extended should Epic Games encounter any issues or the devs overrun.
Whilst it's a pain having to take the game offline, the new update should introduce a sizeable new collection of content into to the game.
As usual, the server message from @FortniteStatus was accompanied by a hint at some of the content we can expect to see.
Given the close ties to Marvel this season, we think it's possible that the 'a new update takes over' could be a hint at the game's new seasonal villain, Galactus.
But fans of the game can also expect to see new content as Epic Games prepare for a big week that also includes collaboration with Rocket League, and BTS, the South Korean boy band.
On Friday, the band shall appear in game - at 1am BST - to debut their Dynamite music video with dance choreography.
"BTS is ready to light up Party Royale’s Main Stage for all partygoers," Epic's previous announcement explained.
"On Friday, September 25 at 8 PM EDT (Saturday, September 26 at 9 AM KST), jump into Party Royale for the world premiere of BTS’ explosive single “Dynamite” Music Video Choreography Version!"
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame)
Beyond this, we can expect to see dataminers leaking new content left, right and centre the second the files become available during the server maintenance.
We'll learn plenty more in a few hour's time. But for now, we might as well take a look at some of the other possible changes we could see included in the new 14.20 Fortnite Patch Notes.
Further down we've listed some of the changes we're expecting to see included in 14.20.
These tweaks, changes are (boring, we know) bug fixes are crucial to keeping to game going, even if they're not as flashy as new leaked skins and cosmetics.
Regardless, below is a list of the changes we're anticipating, based entirely on what we've seen listed via the game's official Trello Board.
Whilst these do give a good insight into some of the fixes we could see, they're not guaranteed, so set your expectations accordingly.
Fortnite Update 14.20 Patch Notes Preview
Battle Royale Issues
- The Heroes Park and Ghost House locations don't count as discovered locations when discovered.
- Some PlayStation 4 players may not see any recorded replays when viewing them in the Career tab.
- On PC, having your "Effects" setting set to "Low" can make Fishing Spots disappear, even at close range. (Fishing Spots should still appear normally with Effects set to Medium or above.)
- Grass will be coming out of the ground floors of any structures built on the islands that have grass.
- Some players are not granted items from a "team settings" and inventory device at the beginning of any round after the first round.
Save the World Issues
- Redline Ramirez's Commander Perk doesn't apply its fire rate buff to charged Sniper Rifles. This includes the Boom Bow.
- The visibility of Fishing Spots can be inconsistent at close range on Nintendo Switch and Android, sometimes disappearing then reappearing.