The latest FIFA offering from EA Sports has gone down a treat so far, with the likes of Ultimate Team and Pro Clubs faring well with those who have purchased the new game.
As always, online play remains a key element of the game, with the vast majority of the fan favourite modes requiring a stable internet connection. But as we are all well aware, that isn't always the case.
Constant lag, FPS drops and stuttering or freezing gameplay are just a handful of the issues that can not just cause you problems when playing online, but entirely wreck your all-important Weekend League wins.
There is quite literally nothing more frustrating.
So to avoid the inevitable broken pad or two, here are our tips as to how you can avoid lagging issues in FIFA 22.
How To Fix FIFA 22 Lag Issues
The first place to start it to ensure that you have a stable internet connection, you can test your internet speed on your console directly, here is how:
- Start your console
- Select the Settings menu
- Select Network
- Click Test Internet Connection
Xbox Series X|S
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide
- Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Network settings
- Select Test network speed & statistics.
In order to enjoy a lag-free gaming experience, you will need a minimum internet speed of 15-20 mbps. You can help to improve your internet speed by hardwiring you console to your router via a LAN cable.
If you're still experiencing lagging issues on your console then here are a few steps that you can take to try and resolve your issues:
- Change your graphics mode. Whilst higher FPS looks good on paper, it can cause lagging issues.
- Restart the console. It sounds simple, but it just might work.
- Switch your monitor. It may be an issue with the screen rather than the console.
For those playing on PC, there is a slightly different approach that you can take to ensure that your gameplay is as smooth and crisp as you need it to be.
Our friends over at Stealth Optional have been working hard to compile a list of all the necessary requirements for those looking to play FIFA 22 on their PC, which we will echo here:
- Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date.
- Ensure that your system software is fully up to date.
- Once everything is updated, drop your FPS cap to 60 to ensure that this isn't the cause of the lagging.
- Check if you have Vsync turned on, if you do, turn it off and vice versa. Whilst this is designed to synchronise your monitor with the game, it can cause stuttering issues.
- Alternate between fullscreen and windowed settings.
- If your device supports game mode then try turning it on and off to see which delivers the best performance.