It's almost time to head back to where it all began! The Kanto Tour Event is nearly here.
2021 marks the 25th anniversary of Pokémon and the 5th anniversary of Pokémon Go, so we were prepared for a slew of celebrations!
And it looks like our wishes have been answered, with Pokémon Go’s biggest ticketed event yet!
Here’s everything you need to know about the Pokémon Go Tour: Kanto event.
Make-Up Event Details – March 2
Niantic has released a new blog post about the make good event planned for Pokemon Go following technical issues.
Due to a technical issue that occurred during Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto, some Trainers were able to access the ticketed portion of the event without purchasing a ticket. We apologize for this issue, and to help Trainers who purchased a ticket feel like they are receiving its value, paid ticket holders will be able to participate in a bonus event.
This "make-up" event will run from March 5 (10 AM local time) to April 5 (10 AM local time), and will include new timed research with the following rewards.
You’ll be able to earn the following items by completing event-exclusive Timed Research.
- 30 Ultra Balls
- A Lure Module
- A Poffin
- A Super Incubator
- A Lucky Egg
- Three Silver Pinap Berries
- A Star Piece
- An Elite Fast TM
- An Elite Charged TM
- A Charged TM
- A Fast TM
- 100 Mew Candy
- A free bundle containing three Remote Raid Passes will be available in the in-game shop.
The event is only available to those that purchased a ticket.
Trainers who inadvertently received access to the ticketed portion of Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto without purchasing a ticket will still be able to access the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto Special Research.
Event Date and Times
Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto will take place Saturday, February 20, 2021, from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. local time!
The ticket is on sale right now, so if you want to grab a place you can!
Tickets are on sale now and will cost $11.99/£10.99, you can find the ticket in the in-game Shop.
If you are worried this is a little steep, don’t worry as your purchase will also include a bunch of bonuses too! As long as you buy your Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket by a certain date.
If you purchase by 11:59pm PST on January 13, 2021 you’ll receive a free ticket to January and February’s Community Day Special Research.
Or, if you purchase the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto event ticket by 11:59pm PST on February 3, 2021 you’ll receive a free ticket to February’s Community Day Special Research
Red and Green Versions
Which version are you getting? One of pokémon’s oldest (and most annoying) traditions is arriving in Pokémon Go!
Players will play either the Green or Red version of the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto e vent, based on the original Red and Green versions of pokemon (changed to Red and Blue outside Japan).
Bulbasaur was my favourite back then, and they still are!
You’ll be able to choose your event version nearer to the date and will have these perks based on your choice.
- Exclusive Pokémon: Ekans, Oddish, Mankey, Growlithe, Scyther, and Electabuzz will be attracted to Incense.
- You’ll have an increased chance of encountering these Shiny Pokémon: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pidgey, Ekans, Pikachu, Nidoran ♀, Oddish, Diglett, Mankey, Growlithe, Ponyta, Shellder, Drowzee, Krabby, Hitmonlee, Lickitung, Scyther, Electabuzz, Eevee, Kabuto, and Dratini.
- Exclusive Pokémon: Sandshrew, Vulpix, Meowth, Bellsprout, Magmar, and Pinsir will be attracted to Incense.
- You’ll have an increased chance of encountering these Shiny Pokémon: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pidgey, Pikachu, Sandshrew, Nidoran ♂, Vulpix, Meowth, Psyduck, Bellsprout, Geodude, Exeggcute, Hitmonchan, Koffing, Tangela, Horsea, Magmar, Pinsir, Eevee, Omanyte, and Dratini.
Thankfully it seems only incense and shiny chances are affected, but we’ll update you if we learn more!
Here’s the best part, every single one of the 151 original pokémon will be available as a shiny.
Yes, you read that right.
On the day, and after, you’ll be able to find the first 150 pokémon as shinies (with legendaries like Mewtwo tied to gyms and/or Team Go Rocket Battles).
Additionally, trainers who complete the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto Special Research will be rewarded with a second event-exclusive Special Research line. Completing this will earn you a shiny Mew!
Blue Mew, Bluew? We'll see ourselves out!
Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo will be returning to Legendary raids! Be on the lookout for these mons, and their exclusive event moves:
- Articuno caught during the event will know Hurricane.
- Zapdos caught during the event will know Thunder Shock.
- Moltres caught during the event will know Sky Attack.
- Mewtwo caught during the event will know Psystrike.
PokemonGO has made some adjustments to the trading range for the Kanto tour.
Now, it will be up to 40 km!
Remember, Trainers! To help you collect the first 150 Pokémon originally discovered in Kanto, we’ll be increasing trade range to 40 km during the week of #PokemonGOTour: Kanto! Be sure to plan ahead so you can trade with friends who have the other event version!
We don't know what the rewards are yet, but we do know that players will be treated to rewards for collecting the original 150 pokemon during and just after the event.
We don't if those who already have 'em all will earn the rewards straight away, or if they will need to catch them again, but we will keep you posted!