The Trickster is a flashy, thrill-seeker of a Killer that was added to Dead by Daylight back in March, 2021. He was added alongside his manager, a Survivor called Yun-Jin Lee. It was the first time that a Survivor and Killer who had an intimate, but business relationship with one another was added to the game.
Despite being one of the weakest Killers in the game so far, you’ll be shocked to know that you can do some great things with The Trickster. It also helps that everyone severely underestimates you when they see that you’re the one they’re going up against. Trust us, it works.
The Trickster may be weak, but there’s still a way to get good at him. We’ll teach you more about his perks, powers, add-ons, as well as give you some tips and tricks that’ll put you head and shoulders above Survivors.
The Trickster Perks In Dead By Daylight
The Trickster has three unique perks that can be unlocked for other Killers via the Bloodweb.
- Starstruck - When picking up a Survivor, other Survivors within your Terror Radius suffer from the Exposed status effect. This status effect lingers on Survivors for 26/28/30 seconds after leaving your Terror Radius. The perk deactivates after Hooking or dropping the carried Survivor. It has a cooldown of 60 seconds.
- Hex: Crowd Control - If a Survivor does a rush action through a Window or Vault, the Entity will block it for the next 10/12/14 seconds. The effects of this perk are nulled when the Hex Totem is cleansed.
- No Way Out - For each Survivor you put on a Hook during the Trial, you gain 1 token. Once the Generators are completed, the Entity blocks the Exit Gate Switches for 10 seconds, as well as an additional 4/6/8 seconds per Token in your possession. This can prevent Survivors from opening a door for a maximum of 26/34/42 seconds.
What Is The Best Build & Perks For The Trickster?
We would go with the following perks for the Best possible Build for The Trickster:
Cruel Limits (The Demogorgon Perk)
- Each time a Generator is repaired, all Windows and Vaults within 32 metres of the completed Generator will be blocked off for all Survivors for the next 20/25/30 seconds.
Bamboozle (The Clown Perk)
- Performing a vault action is 5/10/15% faster and calls upon The Entity to block that Vault location for Survivors for 8/12/16 seconds
Hex: Crowd Control (The Trickster Perk)
- If a Survivor does a rush action through a Window or Vault, the Entity will block it for the next 10/12/14 seconds. The effects of this perk are nulled when the Hex Totem is cleansed.
Zanshin Tactics (The Oni Perk)
- You’re able to see the Auras of Breakable Walls, Pallets and Vaults within 24/28/32 metres of you.
Dead By Daylight The Trickster Powers
The Trickster’s power is called Showstopper.
Showstopper refers to The Trickster’s array of knives (also known as Blades), which he can use to throw at Survivors within the Trial.
The Trickster starts with 60 knives at the start of a Trial and must hold the power button down to wind up and start throwing them. Players can either tap the Power button to throw one or two knives at a time, or they can hold down to unleash a flurry of knives. This gives you more of a chance of hitting a Survivor, but reduces your Movement Speed in the process.
The more knives that hit Survivors, the more progress they get on their Laceration meter. It takes 8 blades hitting a Survivor for them to lose a Health state, either getting Injured or being put into the Dying state. The Laceration meter on Survivors will gradually fade if they haven’t been hit by The Trickster’s knives for a short time or partially deplete altogether if they get hit with his Basic Attack, instead.
After hitting Survivors with knives so many times, you’ll trigger a special attack of The Trickster’s called The Main Event. During this time, the edges of your screen will gain yellow lines around it to show that it’s ready to be used. Press the Power button and The Trickster will unleash an unlimited flurry of knives at Survivors. Unlike before however, his Movement Speed does not decrease after each throw, and his throw rate is significantly improved. You can cancel this ability at any time, but this will put a cooldown on your knives.
Once you run out of knives for Showstopper, you must go to Lockers to refill.
Best Add-Ons For The Trickster In Dead By Daylight
There are some incredibly strong add-ons for The Trickster, but it takes a lot of calm and patience due to how flimsy and underpowered his power is. Because of that, his best add-ons are usually the ones that either add something new and exciting to his base kit or improves the damage of Laceration.
- Death Throes Compilation - In the right hands, this add-on can be overwhelmingly powerful. With this, Laceration starts at 50% based on the proximity to the target, but with each knife hit, the Laceration damage is increased up to a maximum of 200%. This means you can get a Survivor down with as little as 2 to 3 knives. The downside? Once a knife hits the Laceration damage is reset.
- Melodious Murder - This add-on moderately reduces the Laceration capacity of each Survivors, meaning you require less knives to knock a Survivor down a Health state. This is a must-have if you’re not all that confident about hitting Survivors, or you know you’re going to go against a group that knows how to defend against The Trickster’s power. It may feel like you’re compensating for him being weak, but it is also just helpful at getting people up on Hooks quicker. That’s never a bad thing.
- Edge of Revival Album - While nothing incredible, this add-on makes it so that when knives hit the environment they shatter, causing 50% Laceration to nearby Survivors. This is useful for when you just miss a Survivor, because the knife will shatter and hit them anyway if they are close enough.
- Caged Heart Shoes - The Trickster is one of the slowest Killers in the game, and he gets even slower when he uses his power. The best way to combat that is with this add-on, which increases your Movement Speed when you’re in the Throw state.
Dead By Daylight The Trickster Tips and Tricks
- Do not rely on loops in the same way as you would if you were another Killer. The Trickster is a slow Killer and can be run around plenty of loops for a long amount of time, even with his ranged ability. Just break the pallet and move on.
- Narrow, precise areas like Windows, Vaults and Pallets are the time to use your knives on Survivors and get their Laceration meter up. If you know the Survivor is going to be stuck in an animation of some sort, do your best to take advantage of that.
- Don’t use your knives if you can just as easily get a Basic Attack hit on a Survivor. While it may be tempting to do so, you’re just going to waste a lot of time (as well as knives) on a Survivor when you could easily just hit them.
- Using your knives at the Exit Gate can be helpful against Injured Survivors as they don’t ‘fall’ in the same way as they would if they’d been downed by a Basic Attack. They don’t vault forward but instead crumble. This gives you more than enough time to pick them up and carry them to a Hook.
- Use your knives from afar as much as possible. The Trickster’s power is ranged after all, and you can quite easily get a Survivor’s Laceration meter to halfway before you even reach the Generator they’re on.
- If you’re able to, herd a Survivor into a blocked off place like a Wall or a small Jungle Gym with very little to no Vaults. This makes it harder for them to move places and you can unleash your knives on them with much more ease at these locations.