Crypto crime and security-related concerns regarding the February OpenSea phishing attack prompted many users to seek out how to unlink or disconnect their MetaMask Wallets from the OpenSea NFT marketplace.
Disconnecting their wallet allowed investors to keep their accounts and assets secure against online hacks aimed at stealing the NFTs they hold on MetaMask.
Here's a look at what to do.
How To Disconnect MetaMask From OpenSea NFT Marketplace
The first option to disconnect MetaMask from OpenSea comes through the MetaMask extension. Here are the steps to take.
- Go to the MetaMask extension in Google Chrome and click on the three dots.
- Select on connected sites.
- The window displayed will display all connected sites that your MetaMask is linked to.
- Click on the trash can icon displayed in front of the OpenSea NFT marketplace to unlink or disconnect your MetaMask wallet.
Alternatively, you can unlink your MetaMask account via OpenSea by switching to another wallet. You can do this through these steps.
- Go to the OpenSea dashboard, and click on the downward arrow.
- Select the wallet that you want to switch to.
- Make the switch by linking another wallet and unlinking your MetaMask wallet.
One final point to note is that in the wave of chaos that followed the OpenSea phishing attack, first thought to be a smart contract exploit, users went one step further than disconnecting their wallets. Some used applications such as Revoke.cash to revoke signatures. There is always the chance revoking websites could act maliciously with this too, so it's worth being extra cautious here.