Your first major target in the Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Siege of Paris DLC is Engelwin, a Parisian bishop hiding in the catacombs beneath a fortified church. We’ll show you how to assassinate Bishop Engelwin in our guide below, including how to do the special assassination event.
Read More: Where to Find the Hidden Ones’ Bureau in the Siege of Paris
How to Assassinate Bishop Engelwin in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Siege of Paris DLC
To assassinate Bishop Engelwin in the Assassin’s Creed Siege of Paris DLC expansion, players need to find their way inside his church and reach him. To be clear, there’s nothing stopping you from going in like a Viking and just battling your way to him, but for those who want to make use of the newer, sneakier assassination opportunity mechanics, we’ve laid out the best path below.
How to Get into Engelwin’s Church
- To start with, players have to get into Engelwin’s church to find out where he’s hiding. To do so without setting off the alarm, there’s two possible routes: however, we’ve laid out the best one below, as not only will it get you in, it’ll stop the guards from viewing you with suspicion.
- Head to the Tavern in Paris marked on the map and exhaust dialogue with the bartender. She’ll mention two leads; only one of which matters to you: the missing scribe in the plague district.
- Head to the area marked (use your Raven to narrow it down) and talk to the woman there with a dialogue icon above here. She’ll direct you to the Western sewers.
- Follow the icon to the sewer entrance at the river and go inside. It’s a straight route, but there will be rats and potentially random enemies. Drive them off with your weapon and keep going.
- At the end the tunnel opens up, revealing the scribe’s corpse. Inspect it to find a letter with the watchword: Job 1:21.
- From there, follow the quest icon to the Church itself, but do not enter the grounds! Go to the West entrance and speak to the monk standing in the way. This’ll prompt dialogue where you can say the password, whereupon you can go inside and walk around without upsetting them.
Now you’re in, but you need to find Engelwin and kill him. The best way to do that is with a special assassination event.
Bishop Engelwin Assassination Event
There’s only one Assassination Event that we know of at this point, based around taking part in the ritual that Engelwin is conducting as a sacrificial offering. However, if done properly, this allows you to get a proper cinematic kill on the Bishop, without alerting any of the guards to what you did. We’ve laid out how to do it below.
- Go inside the church and talk to the normally-dressed man standing there. He’ll direct you up the ladder to talk to his brother, who’s not feeling great about being part of a ritual sacrifice. Speak to him and offer to take his place.
- From there, open the chest behind him to get the Bellatores Robe, a special disguise that’ll keep you from being noticed unless you kill somebody. Equip it in the cloak section of your inventory and put the hood up.
- Head down the ladder to the other end of the church. There’s a staircase leading down with a locked door guarded by a monk. If you’re wearing the cloak, he’ll give you the key and stand aside.
- When you see the blind Nun, light the braziers using your torch as part of the ritual. Then continue on down the steps now available to you.
- You should now be in a large room with Engelwin in the middle. Climb around the left wall above the guards and drop down when he walks to the little alcove on the left. Speak to him there to begin the sacrificial bit.
- In dialogue, there’ll come a moment where you’re given the opportunity to assassinate him. Take it, and complete the event in gory, spectacular fashion.
Once you’re done, loot his body for a key and crest, then head back up the stairs the way you came. Use the key to unlock the door at the top and investigate the bishop’s chambers, then escape to complete the assassination mission.
Looking for more cool tricks in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla? Check out how to get the special one-handed sword, or find out how to get the Dublin Champion Armour!
For more articles like this, take a look at our Assassin's Creed and Guides page.