The team at Niantic has provided an update on the development of Pokémon Go as it relates to COVID-19, lockdowns, and social-distancing measures.
“Over the past few months, we’ve been making temporary changes to Pokémon Go to adapt to the changing global environment,” the team said in a blog post.
“Some of these changes will remain implemented for the foreseeable future, such as the ability to raid remotely, changes to the Go Battle League, and the increased distance at which you can spin Photo Discs at Gyms and PokéStops. We thank you for all your feedback.”
These changes will remain in the game for the time being:
- The maximum number of Gifts you can carry in your Item Bag at a time will remain at 20.
- You will continue to receive three times the Stardust and XP for your first Pokémon catch of the day.
- Incense duration will remain at 60 minutes.
The following will be added Thursday, October 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT:
- Hatch Distance will return to normal for Eggs.
- The increased effectiveness of Incense will now apply only while walking.
- Your Buddy Pokémon will now bring you Gifts only when you have nearly run out. This will happen only once per day.
- You will still have a higher chance of getting a Gift when you spin a PokéStop. However, you won’t be guaranteed to get a Gift.
“We’re continuously monitoring the ever-evolving global situation and are working hard to reschedule previously planned live events to 2021,” the team added.