Mega Evolution has finally arrived in the world of Pokemon GO.
Niantic revealed the exciting news today and also announced a Mega Evolution themed event coming soon.
Let's check out the details.
Check out the tweet and trailer below from the official Pokemon GO Twitter account:
Players will be able to Mega Evolve their Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise and Beedril.
This can be achieved by using the new resource, Mega Energy.
After a player has Mega Evolved a Pokémon, the Mega Energy required to Mega Evolve that specific Pokémon will decrease from then onward.
Keep in mind players cannot Mega Evolve Shadow or Clone Pokemon.
As well as this, players can only have two Mega Evolved Pokemon at one time.
What Can I do With My Mega Evolved Pokemon?
- Battle in raids. All other Trainers’ Pokémon in the raid will receive an attack boost, and Pokémon whose attack types are the same type as any of the Mega-Evolved Pokémon’s types will receive an additional attack boost for those attacks. Please note that Pokémon can benefit from attack boosts from only one Mega-Evolved Pokémon at a time.
- Battle in Gyms. Note that Mega-Evolved Pokémon can’t defend Gyms.
- Battle Team GO Rocket.
- Make it your buddy to see it on the map, play with it, and feed it!
Mega Evolution Themed Event
Niantic also revealed a Mega Evolution themed event coming in September,
Check out the goals for the event below:
- From Tuesday, September 1, 2020, to Monday, September 7, 2020, your goal will be to complete as many Mega Raids as you can! Gather Mega Energy to Mega Evolve your Pokémon and feel like a hero in your Raid Battles!
- From Friday, September 11, 2020, to Thursday, September 17, 2020, hone your battle skills with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon. Take part in Gym battles, Team GO Rocket battles, and Trainer Battles (excluding GO Battle League battles).
- From Tuesday, September 22, 2020, to Monday, September 28, 2020, become buddies with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon and spend time with it! Be sure to take snapshots and share them with us on social media using #GOsnapshot.
You can check out the official update page on the Pokemon GO site here.