Season 5 of Modern Warfare and Warzone is nearly here and the story within Verdansk continue to evolve further and further.
It's been confirmed that the new season will get four new multiplayer maps, including a COD1 classic in Suldal Harbor.
Not only that, but Warzone will be getting a big update to the map. The Stadium will finally be opened up and a moving train will roam around the map.
Players will get the opportunity to wield TWO new weapons, the ISO SMG and AN-94 AR (a sweet little call back to Black Ops 2 as we build up towards the COD 2020 reveal).
We're also getting a new faction and with it new operators in the form of The Shadow Company - first seen in Modern Warfare 2.
Here's everything we know about Modern Warfare Season 5.
Click the links below to read more:
ISO And AN-94 Warzone Class Guides - 5th August
Looking to dominate with the new weapons?
How To Unlock The ISO And AN-94 - 5th August
Looking to unlock the ISO and AN-94 weapons in Season 5?
Hidden Patch Notes - 5th August
Here are some early changes that have yet to be noted in the Patch Notes:
- Warzone player trails have changed
- Dual Kodachis have been added at launch rather than mid-season
- Red Access keys have been added back to Warzone
- Weapons with Dismemberment effects are now distinguished in the game's UI
- Mastery Challenges added will reward cosmetics
- Start glitch has been fixed - your minimap now disappears when you press start after dying
- P216 Keycards added to access new areas
- Recon Drone glitch to get into inaccessible areas has been patched
Season 5 Opening Cinematic - 5th August
Season 5 Is Now Live - 5th August
The new Season is now live! You can check out the patch notes here.
Season 5 Road Map - 4th August
Season 5 Now Available To Download Early For All PS4 Users - 4th August
The Season 5 update is now available for all PS4 users to download early!
Over the weekend, the update was made available for a select number of players but has now been made available for everyone.
Unfortunately, Xbox and PC users can not participate in this feature at this time.
Download the Season 5 update right here.
5-Man Squads Coming? - 4th August
Are 5-Man squads coming to Warzone? Plenty of Reddit users were quick to point out that 5 people are seen roaming around on a helicopter in Verdansk.
Read more about it here.
Photo via u/Bains187
New Season 5 Trailer - 3rd August
The new season will open up Stadium, bring a moving train to Verdansk, two new 6v6 maps, a new Ground War map and a new Gunfight map.
You can read our breakdown of what's to come here.
Season 5 Update Is "Big" - 3rd August
As expected, the new update for Warzone and Modern Warfare will be "big" according to Infinity Ward's Production Designer Paul Haile.
It's so big that a pre-load update for patch 1.24 has already hit PS4 consoles - read all about it here.
First Look At The R700 - 1st August
Is the R700 coming to Modern Warfare and Warzone in Season 5? May are confident they'll be seeing the APC-9 and AN-94, but what about the return of the COD4 sniper rifle?
We've been gifted our first look at this glorious weapon thanks to @BKTOOR_
It appears to be a marksman rifle rather than a sniper rifle in the photo below.
ISO Gameplay - 31st July
Gameplay of the ISO/APC9 SMG, that is likely coming to Season 5, has had gameplay surface.
It's also believed that there are 4 different blueprints for this weapon.
The gun was found in the files very early into the game's lifespan but hasn't been released until now.
Seven Seasons Confirmed For Modern Warfare? - 27th July
According to @ModernWarzone on Twitter, there are files for seven seasons of content for Modern Warfare.
As Season 5 approaches, that means we'll have two more, presumably leading into the upcoming Call of Duty 2020 title.
1.24 Patch Notes
- Modern Warfare
- Ground War (Adding Verdansk International Airport)
- Blueprint Gunfight
- Search and Destroy Double Down (12v12)
- Face-Off (Livestock)
- Oil Rig and Harbor 24/7
- BR Duos
- BR Trios
- BR Quads
- BR Solos Buy Back (previously called BR Solos Stimulus)
- Blood Money Quads
- Mini Royale Trios (Fast-paced Battle Royale in condensed areas of Verdansk)
- Added Weapon Inspect!
- Fix for an issue where store bundle images could get stuck on the previous bundle image when scrolling on PC
- Fixes to prevent screen tearing
- Fix for an issue where Price and Gaz occasionally lose their eye models while navigating various menus
- Fixed a bug where, when the ‘Headshots Only’ option is set in a custom game, the male Operator hitboxes aren’t functioning properly
- Fix for an issue where the default scope on the Rytec AMR cannot be customized
- Fix for a bug where Care Packages, Juggernauts, and Emergency Airdrops were not getting properly refunded to the player if getting the ‘Too many vehicles, refunding killstreak’ message in a Custom Game
- Stopping Power rounds are now preserved on dropped weapons
- Added a brief decay period when transitioning from heavy footsteps (sprint, tactical sprint) to lighter footsteps (walk). This addresses players immediately becoming quiet upon slowing down from fast movements
- Fixed a bug where the player’s choice of weapon fire and scope states were not being saved and restored after interacting with the Sentry Gun, Shield Turret, and Care Package
- (We'll have weapon tuning and other weapon adjustments in a future patch. Stay tuned for updates.)
- Fix for invisible collision appearing in Barakett Promenade
- Fix for a bug where the 23.0" RPK Barrel was appearing broken in-game and in the Gunsmith menu
- Fix for an exploit where players were able to give themselves unlimited ammo
- Fix for an exploit using the Recon Drone and Care Package
- The PKM – Bludgeoner will now gather ammo from any other PKM weapon
- Fixed an issues where players were hearing the missed hit VO for the Precision Airstrike when right after calling it in
- Added a VO line when a player’s High Alert warning is triggered
- Fixed an issue where players could receive ‘wallbang’ kills when shooting through players
- New Warzone loot items!
- Gulag weapons will now rotate every week between four sets total
- Increased effective damage range for all semi-auto DMR and semi-auto Sniper Rifles
- Increased effective damage range for the FR 5.56
- Fix for a bug where the player’s physics could be controlled by the helicopter while they parachute out
- Fix for an issue where players were unable to call in any Air Strikes
- Fix for seeing invalid pings on the Heartbeat Sensor
- Added new VO lines to warn players of enemy Recon Drones being called in near them (BR only)
- Previously, the Most Wanted contract could respawn dead players. Now, it can respawn players in the Gulag in any state
- Fix for the ‘Alive in Gas’ challenge timer
Call of Duty League
- Fix for an exploit while inside the blue kiosks on Piccadilly
- New restricted attachments:
- Muzzle – Suppressors (all)
- Optic – Thermal Sights (all)
- Underbarrel – Merc Foregrip
Co-op Modes (Tac Ops, Classic Special Operations, Survival)
- Team Ping is now enabled in these modes
- New Challenges: Playing it Bogart – Defeat enemies in style while supporting your teammates in these Co-Op Focused Challenges
Special Operations: Survival
- Added new map, Crash
- Fix for exploit involving the Equipment Store
- Improved stability
- VRAM usage is now displayed in 2 separate bars: one for Warzone and the other for multiplayer
- Added a keybind for Air Vehicles’ Horn in the Killstreak and Vehicles tab in the Options menu
The new update will be 33.9 GB on PS4, 49.8 GB on Xbox One and 54.2 GB on PC.
When Will Season 5 of Modern Warfare Start?
The new season will begin on the 5th August at 11pm PT/ 7am BST, according to the Battle Pass expiring timer.
Due to the worldwide pandemic and the release plans of COD 2020, this is subject to change.
Most major COD updates arrive on a Wednesday at 7am, so the date and times may change very slightly come release.
Season 5's official trailer:
Modern Warfare Season 5 Maps
Amongst the new maps being added are Suldal Harbor (6v6), Petrov Oil Rig (6v6), Livestock (Gunfight) and Verdansk International Airport (Ground War).
- Oil Rig
- Seine Don
- Military Base 2
- Firing Range
Allegedly there are 60 maps in the works for Modern Warfare at the moment, but whether they will make it to the final game is unknown.
We've also got a number of Gunfight maps to look forward to
- Fork (Gunfight)
- Hook (Gunfight)
- Exclusion (Gunfight)
- Boneyard (Gunfight)
- Cornfield (Gunfight)
- Theatre (Gunfight)
- Townhouse (Gunfight)
- Train (Gunfight)
- Walco 2 (Gunfight)
- Drainage (Gunfight)
- King PM (Gunfight)
- Exclusion (Gunfight)
- Layover (Gunfight)
Please bear in mind, some of these may just be codenames and not their final map names.
With Boneyard making an appearance, plenty are hopeful that Scrapyard will make an appearance as a 6v6 or 10v10 map; TheGamingRevolution is convinced it will arrive at some point.
Modern Warfare Season 5 Weapons
The new weapons in this season are the ISO SMG and AN-94 Assault Rifle.
Data miners have posted gameplay of unreleased weapons including the APC9, HK G28 and XM109.
@TheMW2Ghost has also confirmed that two new codes were added to Season 4 'm200 & m200_c'.
The m200 is the CheyTac Intervention, meaning it's likely that the Intervention will arrive in Season 5.
The R700 has also been added to the game files.
@ModerWarzone also chimed in saying that the Spas-12 was found in the game files back in February.
A "new weapon" was inadvertently discovered shortly after the launch of Warzone, thanks to PrestigeIsKey, in Season 3 - below is a picture of an axe/hatchet.
It is just a visual glitch and in a video that he posted, it was, in fact, a custom SMG. While it's unlikely we're going to see it arrive, it's worth noting that a weapon design like this exists.
With new rumours suggesting that the next Call of Duty game is a "mess" and won't be revealed for a while, it looks even more likely that this weapon will be pushed back to Season 5.
Before launch, it was also rumoured that the ACR and the M16 would return from Modern Warfare past - we've yet to see either of these weapons arrive so far.
Call of Duty: Warzone
Taylor Kurosaki (Infinity Ward's Narrative Lead) and Amos Hodge (Raven Software's Director) confirmed that plenty of new content is coming to Warzone including:
- New items in-game that you can put in your loadout
- New items to find in BR and Plunder that aren't in your loadout
- New Field Upgrades
- New modes
- New loot
- Narrative story
According to @ModernWarzone, the game files are now showing 200 players for both Plunder and Warzone, along with a juggernaut mode.
Here's everything that has been confirmed and rumoured in the new season for Warzone.
Infinity Ward has assured that ground loot will have a continuous overhaul to diversify the strategies you can take across Warzone; so you can expect new tools of destruction to play with.
Expect to see every weapon type with a silenced and non-silenced variant, allowing squads to kit themselves for silent operations
New weapons and blueprints will be added to Supply Boxes and ground loot to Verdansk and stay tuned for additional meta updates as the Warzone further evolves.
Season 5 will add eight Common, 13 Uncommon, 15 Rare, 19 Epic and 25 Legendary variants to find throughout Verdansk.
This condenses the craziest parts of the main Battle Royale mode into faster-paced chunks of chaotic and almost constant combat. Mini Royale lowers the number of Operators sent into Verdansk but quickens the BR experience: Only the first and last five minutes of a normal BR game exist meaning rapid deployment, constant movement, and high-kill strategies are set to yield victories that are both short and sweet.
More modes will also arrive later this season and in a list of leaks from u/Senescallo, we can confirm a number of different playlist and modes could come at some point:
- Battle Royale High Action "Claustrophobia" - Loot and Kill. The Gas closes in faster, so get moving.
- Battle Royale One Shot - Battle Royale with 1-shot Headshots and no loadout drops.
- Realism Battle Royale
- Realism Plunder
- Hardcore Battle Royale
- Hardcore Plunder
- Plunder Solo
- Infinite Revive
- No Revive
@ModernWarzone has found additional playlists in the code for Warzone:
- Duos: One-Shot and Stimulus
- Solos, Duos, Trios and Quads: Bottom Line
- Infinite Gulag
- Most Wanted
- Run Like Hell
- Classic Battle Royale
- Mo' Gulag, Mo' Problems
- Inflation Redeployment
They have also found an icon in the files for a mode called Juggernaut.
There's no mention of a ranked playlist or mode for Warzone at this time.
Since the Battle Royale and the multiplayer are tied together with universal progression (including the battle pass) its unlikely that much will come in the form of unique Warzone cosmetics.
Stadium will finally be opening up for players to explore. We're also being treated to a moving train in Verdansk, coupled with the opening of the Train Station terminal.
If you've been checking out the strategy guide that Activision launched with Warzone, there are many areas listed as "classified".
It's easy to assume these areas will be unlocked as time goes on and particularly when Season 4 launches.
Players could be forgiven for not noticing certain changes to the new main menu in Modern Warfare and Warzone, that showcases Chernobyl and Pripyat.
In Season 3, the menus showed the Dam overflowing and starting to release water. The current dam in Warzone is frozen and no water is really on the map at all right now.
There were also suspicious howling noises, a mystery that has still yet to be solved.
It isn't hard to believe that the new Warzone map will evolve over time, especially as players discover new easter eggs that may tie into the story of Verdansk. Those playing the game will have noticed a few vaulted doors, bunkers and interactable computer terminals which many believe are key to finishing the easter egg.
In fact, Infinity Ward’s Narrative Director Taylor Kurosaki briefly mentioned how the studio is looking at Fortnite-like events that fit the Warzone and Modern Warfare universe.
Is Urzikstan the next Warzone map? Reddit user u/StreetfighterXD seems to think so, and they've written a very detailed description as to why it will be.
It's a logical assumption, after all, Blackout (the Black Ops 4 battle royale) produced two maps during its time.
Not to mention in the opening cinematic for Season 4, you can clearly see Urzikstan highlighted on the map - could the nukes in Season 4 obliterate Verdansk and make way for a new location?
@ModernWarzone has shared information from one of their Discord mods that pointed out a stagnant sand storm is surrounding Urzikstan (in-game).
Although a new map may not be on the way soon, they have reason to believe that the new circle will no longer be gas, but instead a sandstorm.
According to @ModernWarzone, there are multiple references to zombies in Warzone - specifically Zombies In Spaceland
He's said that there are multiple references including:
- Spaceland docs in Verdansk
- Zombie round ending sounds
- Howling near Dm and Prison
- Screaming at Prison & Dam
- Teddy bears throughout Verdansk
- Zombie rat in Warzone
- 115 on RCXD
- The “gas”
A lot of theories are popping up that suggests tanks will arrive in Warzone, but nothing is concrete yet.
Alongside Season 5 comes a new faction for Modern Warfare and Warzone.
The Shadow Company have arrived in Call of Duty with a selection of operators to represent them.
Let's check out what we know about Shadow Company and what they'll bring to Call Of Duty.
Who Are The Shadow Company?
The Activision Blog reveals:
"An elite PMC, Shadow Company operates outside the boundaries of the original Armistice. Forged from the fires of in-fighting between the Coalition and the Allegiance, Shadow Company has a framework and agenda all of their own."
"Shadow Company is a splinter group formed without compromise, ready to take the war directly to Mr. Z and into Verdansk and deal with terrorist threats directly."
Shadow Company are an organisation that operates without pretence and operate under their own terms.
All members of Shadow Company have formal military experience and are experts in their field.
Who Are The Shadow Company Operators Coming To Modern Warfare and Warzone?
Shadow Company will bring with it a trio of operators with a diverse range of skills.
Shadow Company consists of Rozlin “Roze” Helms (formerly Jackals), Velikan, and Marcus “Lerch” Ortega, the Company’s leader.
The Activision Blog has some interesting details on each of the operators, check it out below:
- Lerch hails from Plano, Texas and is a former member of the U.S. Marine Corps. Known on the battlefield for his enthusiasm and success in regards to eliminating the enemy, it was better to have Lerch with you rather than against you. Following USMC, civilian life didn’t suit Lerch, so he re-entered the fight in the private sector and is considered a one-man force multiplier. When the Shadow Company CEO came across Lerch’s dossier, he was the perfect combination of skill and moral flexibility. There’s no contract Lerch won’t take on nor challenge he won’t face which is how he finds himself in Verdansk leading the other Operators of Shadow Company.
- Not much is known about Velikan. Dressed in full body armor for protection in battle and to hide his identity, little is confirmed about this Operator. A shadow of a shadow. Tales of his exploits are written off as fairytales at best and gross exaggerations at worst. Those who know him never speak ill of him. Whether it’s due to fear or respect, no one knows.
- Rozlin “Roze” Helms joined the Shadow Company after migrating from the Allegiance faction Jackals. Previously, Roze cut ties with the Armed Services and returned to support her family and ailing father. Periodically in contact with Mace, now a PMC who left the Army after abandoning his post in protest of combat orders he deemed illegal, Roze gained entry into the Jackals mercenary group. Now Roze is letting her skill prove her worth as she provides support to Shadow Company while remaining on cordial terms with Mace.
Season 5 Battle Pass Rewards
There will be 100 Tiers of content, some of which will be free, but the rest requires players to purchase the Pass for 1,000 CoD Points.
The Battle Pass traditionally features an array of weapons, blueprints, emblems, stickers, charms, calling cards, watches, operator skins, vehicle skins, finishing moves, XP tokens and COD Points.
Each pass has had a featured Operator for you to obtain as an instant reward with a special skin once you reach max rank; this season features Lerch.
Rodion also shows his alliance to Shadow Company with the “Archangel” skin and Mission.
As well as Lerch’s evolving skin and Rodion’s “Archangel” outfit, expect a number of additional skins (with associated Operator Missions) as you progress through the Battle Pass.
There’s the “Safeguard” Otter skin, “Lynx” Domino skin, Joint Task Force Mil-Sim skin, “Honcho” Yegor skin, “Pursuit Special” Wyatt skin, “Chill Pill” Syd skin, “Jackdaw” Talon skin, and the “Cut and Run” skin for Iskra. Lastly, if you’re wanting to defeat a foe with a savaging from the jet-black beak of an attack Raven, be sure to equip the “Nevermore” finisher!
The ultimate Season Five Battle Pass reward is the “Rook” skin for Roze, as well as “The Veil” vehicle skin, and more. Shoot for “The Company’s Might”; negative tracer rounds for Assault Rifle Lima to fill your foes with fear as well as projectiles!
The Season Five Battle Pass system enables you to obtain two new weapons: the ISO SMG (Tier 15) and the AN-94 assault rifle (Tier 31) that all players in Modern Warfare including Warzone can earn for free, just for playing the game.
This season, players can also get a trio of Wartracks to play whilst driving vehicles. Expect a dark and brooding look to many of the Battle Pass items in-keeping with the arrival of Shadow Company.
These include a variety of vehicle skins like the “Tarrasch” (ATV) and “Siege Tower” (Cargo Truck). Continue your matte black vehicle collection with the “Night Ranger” (SUV) skin. Check out all the vehicle skins in the Battle Pass system and equip them in the Vehicle Customization menu.
You'll be able to purchase 20 Tier skips for 2,400 CoD points, too.
If you managed to grind your way through the battle pass for Season 4, you should have earnt enough points to buy the Season 5 pass for free.
The Spec Ops mode is receiving less love as time goes on, although a few new maps have been added to the survival mode.
We could see a few more maps added this season.
Season 5 Operators
A new season means new Operators and as more campaign characters are added to the mix, there are plenty that could still arrive.
Last season we had Captain Price starring alongside Gaz and Roze, but who could join alongside him?
It's been confirmed that Shadow Company will be joining the new season with Marcus “Lerch” Ortega as the Battle Pass Operator with Velkin and Morte arriving later on.
Khaled Al Asad and will play a part in the upcoming Warzone event. Perhaps he will be added as an Operator? Leakers are expecting Farrah to arrive this season.
Here are some characters we would like to see return:
- Imran Zakhaev
- Soap MacTavish
- General Shepherd
- Marcus Griggs
- Farah Karim
- Khaled Al-Asad
Season 5 Game Modes
Ready to focus on pure, unadulterated combat? Then try out Bare Bones; a rotation of TDM, Domination, HQ, Hardpoint, and Kill Confirmed with the same rulesets as before, albeit with one important distinction: There are no Killstreaks, no Field Upgrades, and no perks.
Search and Destroy Double Down
This variant game mode features elements from the classic Search and Destroy; where one team must plant a demolition charge on an enemy weapons cache. Except this time the stakes are higher as the scale is bigger; this is a 12v12, not the usual 6v6. Expect tactics and chaos!
There are many game modes that have been found in the game, but have yet to be added into the rotation:
- Rupture - Take control of a powerful Juggernaut and push to the enemy's base to win.
- Team Juggernaut - Each team has a Juggernaut. Juggernaut kills are worth more points. First team to reach the score limit wins.
- Reinforce - Capture points will revive fallen teammates. Taking all points will win the round.
- Invasion - Take your team's flag into the enemy base.
- High-Value Target - Gain score by eliminating players on the opposing team. Extract high-value enemy combatants to steal score back.
- Search & Rescue - Teams take turns defending and destroying an objective. Recover dog tags to allow or deny respawns.
- Fire Mission - Eliminate enemies, capture HQ's and extract VIPs to earn score for your team.
- Assault - Attackers attack a bombsite while defenders defend.
The following playlists have yet to be implemented:
- Cyber Attack Pro - Cyber Attack with respawns instead of revives
- Hit Man
- Rat Race
- Jugg of War
- Student Loan Payments
- Stick and Stones
- Team Building Exercise
- Working From Home - Small map mosh pit.
Check out our Season 5 guides here: