Pokemon GO Fest 2020 was a resounding success for so many reasons, despite COVID-19 forcing players to play remotely.
This year's Pokemon GO Fest, unfortunately, came with a hitch as a technical error caused habitat blocks.
Fortunately, Niantic are hosting a makeup event for players that were unable to get the most out of this opportunity!
Here's what we know about Pokemon GO Fest 2020's Make-Up Event.
Pokemon GO 2020 Make-Up Event
Dates, Times And Schedule
The make-up event will take place globally from August 16, 2020, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. local time
Three different habitats will be featured during this event, each lasting for one hour:
- 11:00 a.m.: Fire
- 12:00 p.m.: Water
- 1:00 p.m.: Friendship
Features, Bonuses And Rewards
During this makeup event, some Pokémon featured during Pokémon GO Fest 2020 will be appearing more frequently in the wild.
Pokémon featured during the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 Fire, Water, and Friendship habitat hours will be appearing in the wild. Incense will be more effective at attracting the featured Pokémon, and certain featured Pokémon will appear only when attracted by Incense, so be sure to use Incense to encounter all sorts of Pokémon!
There’ll be a special free box featuring two Incense and two Remote Raid Passes. Please note that players can claim this box only if they have fewer than three Remote Raid Passes in their Item Bag.
Gifts opened during the event can contain Rare Candies.
Incense activated during the event will last for one hour.
How Do I Participate?
This makeup event will be available only to players who purchased a Pokémon GO Fest 2020 ticket.
Team Rocket Takeover - 26th July
- You’ll be able to use a Charged TM to let your Pokémon forget the attack Frustration and learn a new attack. We noticed that this seems to be possible only for a limited time during Team GO Rocket’s take-overs. We will be investigating this strange phenomenon further.
- The confetti from the first day’s festivities will be replaced by Team GO Rocket confetti!
- Battle the Team GO Rocket Leaders! We’ve received reports that point to them having the following Shadow Pokémon on their teams.Sierra: Beldum, Houndoom, and Zapdos
Cliff: Pinsir, Tyranitar, and Articuno
Arlo: Mawile, Scizor, and Moltres
- We also heard that Giovanni will have a new lineup during the take-over and that you'll be able to rescue Shadow Persian after defeating him!
If you happen to own a festival ticket; you can look out for the following:
- The GO Fest 2020: Rocket Straight to Victory Special Research will be available. Help Professor Willow and the team leaders defeat Team GO Rocket and take back Pokémon GO Fest 2020! Some of you might recall that the professor mentioned yesterday that he was feeling a great energy that filled him with hope and determination. We’re still wondering where this energy came from and whether it has anything to do with this turn of events...
- As you complete the GO Fest 2020: Rocket Straight to Victory Special Research, you’ll encounter Pokémon that can help you defeat the Team GO Rocket leaders!
- More Team GO Rocket balloons will be appearing in the skies, and more Team GO Rocket Grunts will be capturing PokéStops!
- Earn twice the Stardust and Mysterious Components when you defeat Team GO Rocket Grunts (both at PokéStops and in balloons)
- The Global Challenge Arena and Virtual Team Lounge have been vandalized by Team GO Rocket!
Reports indicate some unwanted guests are appearing in attendees’ snapshots. Be sure to show us what you find with #GOsnapshot!
Enigma Week - 25th July
Another week has been confirmed by the official Pokemon Go Twitter account! This time around it has noted to be the Enigma Week!
Rotating Habitats - 25th July
The official Pokemon Go Twitter account also tweeting the following message:
So, you better stock up on Poke Balls for all of the zones we are about to experience!
Dragon Week Event - 25th July
Pokemon Go tweeted out the below image which has confirmed that Dragon Week is coming!
7KM Eggs - 25th July
Niantic has shared a list of Pokemon that will be hatchable within 7KM.
You will be able to claim the eggs from the following times:
- Saturday: 10 am – 8 pm local time
- Sunday: 10 am – 8 pm local time
Below is a full list of Pokemon found within the eggs according to PokemonGoHub.
Ultra Unlock Bonus Teased and Storage Increased - 24th July
Pokefans will be able to complete 32 challenges throughout the event, with every eight completed unlocking an Ultra Unlock event week.
As per the game's blog:
Ultra Unlock Week One: Dragon Week
If Trainers complete eight global challenges, they’ll unlock Dragon Week. The majestic Dragon-type Pokémon come in all shapes and sizes, from the tiny Gible to the towering Alolan Exeggutor, and this week will be their time to shine! Dragon Week will run from Friday, July 31, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, August 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The following Pokémon will be appearing more frequently in the wild: Alolan Exeggutor, Horsea, Dratini, Trapinch, Swablu, and Bagon. If you’re lucky, you might find a Gible!
- The following Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs: Horsea, Dratini, Trapinch, Swablu, and Bagon. Gible and Deino will also be hatching from 7 km Eggs, but only if you’re lucky!
- Rayquaza will be in five-star raids.
- Complete the Timed Research this week for a chance to encounter not one, but two Deino! This Timed Research will be available from Friday, July 31, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, August 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Deino!
Ultra Unlock Week Two: Enigma Week
If Trainers complete 16 global challenges, they’ll also unlock Enigma Week. The featured Pokémon range from the mysterious Elgyem to the powerful Deoxys! Enigma Week will run from Friday, August 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, August 14, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The following Pokémon will be appearing more frequently in the wild: Staryu, Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Lunatone, Solrock, Baltoy, Bronzor, and Elgyem.
- The following Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs: Cleffa, Igglybuff, Lunatone, Solrock, and Elgyem
- The following Pokémon will be available in raids: Bronzong, Claydol, Bronzong, Elgyem, and Unown U, L, T, R, and A.
- Normal Forme Deoxys will be in five-star raids. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Normal Forme Deoxys!
- If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Staryu!
Ultra Unlock Week Three: Unova Week
If Trainers complete 24 challenges, they’ll also unlock Unova Week. Sewaddle, Cottonee, Emolga, and Bouffalant, originally discovered in the Unova region, will be making their Pokémon GO debut! Bouffalant will be available in New York City, USA and the surrounding areas. Unova Week will run from Friday, August 14, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, August 21, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The following Pokémon will be appearing more frequently in the wild and hatching from 7 km Eggs: Sewaddle, Cottonee, and other Pokémon originally discovered in the Unova region. If you’re lucky, you might find an Emolga!
- Bouffalant will be appearing in the wild and hatching from 5 km Eggs in New York City, USA and the surrounding areas.
- Roggenrola and other Pokémon originally discovered in the Unova region will be available in raids.
- Genesect will be in five-star raids. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Genesect!
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter Shiny Roggenrola!
You can also now store 3500 Pokemon, which is great news for longtime fans!
Final GO Fest Weekly Challenge Complete - 23rd July
The final weekly challenge of Pokemon GO Fest 2020 is complete!
The following Pokemon will now be appearing during Pokemon GO Fest 2020:
Check out the official tweet below:
Virtual Team Lounge - 21st July
The Virtual Team Lounge is an online space that’ll feature a lot of exclusive Pokemon GO Fest content.
This will provide trainers with a place to chill out when they're taking a break from playing the game.
The lounge will provide players with the latest Pokemon GO news and GO Fest video content.
Save Your Gift Interactions - 21st July
Niantic has recommended saving your gift interactions during GO Fest Day 1 until the friendship habitat comes to you, as it will feature a Global Challenge to send gifts to friends.
If the goal is met, gifts opened in the rest of the habitat's time may contain an unexpected item!
First And Second Weekly Challenge Pokemon Encounter Bonuses - 17th July
- Alolan Grimer
- Alolan Marowak
Data Miners Reveal Upcoming Features - 13th of July
The data miners have revealed a host of upcoming changes and features. Here's what they found:
- A GO Fest Challenge Hub that features a range of details and a banner across the top.
- Timed Group Challenges including a progress bar and personal scores. Players will also be able to compare their personal scores with friends.
- A badge for GO Fest was added.
- More Galarian forms were added, along with some costume forms for Lapras and Gengar.
- New and improved confetti effects added.
- New Summer themed loading screen. Check it out below.
Courtesy of GO HUB
Dates And Schedule
Pokemon GO Fest 2020 will take place on the 25th-26th of July 2020.
The first day of the event will take place on the 25th of July from 10am to 8pm local time.
- Trainers can access a Special Research story that they can get only on Day 1.
- Five rotating habitats—themed around fire, water, grass, battle, and friendship—will feature special Pokémon that go along with that habitat’s theme. These habitats will rotate every hour, so each habitat will be featured twice during Day 1.
- Trainers will be able to work together in the Global Challenge Arena! This GO Fest–exclusive feature will be available only to ticket holders. In the Global Challenge Arena, Trainers will have a chance to join forces in order to complete a collaborative challenge each hour. If Trainers complete a challenge, they will earn a bonus for the remainder of the hour. You can check the Global Challenge Arena screen to keep track of global progress!
- Trainers will be able to encounter over 75 species of Pokémon in the wild, in raids, and by completing Special Research tasks.
The second day of the event will take place on the 26th of July from 10am to 8pm local time.
Trainers will enjoy something very different! This day will be a surprise, so ticket holders will learn what is in store on the day.
There’ll also be another Special Research story for Trainers to enjoy
Weekly Challenges - Dates And Times
In the build-up to the event, Niantic has announced weekly challenges that will allow Trainers to unlock additional species of Pokémon during Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
Not to mention that these challenges coincide with Pokemon GO's fourth-anniversary.
Dates And Times
- Week 1 - Friday, July 3, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, July 8, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time
- Week 2 - Friday, July 10, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, July 15, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time
- Week 3 - Friday, July 17, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, July 22, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time
Week 1 Challenges - Skill Challenge And Pokémon GO’s Fourth-Anniversary Celebration Event
Week 1 Challenges:
GO Fest Skill Challenge #1
- Catch 20 Pokemon - 100 Stardust
- Make 5 Nice Throws - 10 Poke Balls
- Use 5 Berries to help catch Pokemon - 5 Pinap Berries
Rewards 100 XP, 1 Golden Razz Berry, 10 Great Balls
GO Fest Skill Challenge #2
- Catch 30 Pokemon - 300 Stardust
- Make 10 Great Throws - 10 Great Balls
- Transfer 20 Pokemon - 20 Poke Balls
Rewards 300 XP, Ducklett encounter, 1 Silver Pinap Berry
GO Fest Skill Challenge #3
- Catch 50 Pokemon - 1,000 Stardust
- Make an Excellent Throw - 10 Ultra Balls
- Catch 15 different species of Pokemon - 20 Great Balls
Rewards 1 Rare Candy, Flying Pikachu encounter, 1 Star Piece
GO Fest Elite Skill Challenge
- Catch 100 Pokemon - 5 Poke Balls
- Catch 25 different species of Pokemon - 5 Great Balls
- Make 50 Excellent Throws - 5 Ultra Balls
Rewards 500 XP, 500 Stardust, 5 Razz Berries
This first weekly challenge will focus on catching Pokémon.
Pokémon will be appearing in the wild, hatching from Eggs, and appearing in raids—notably Flying Pikachu! If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Flying Pikachu!
The event is completely free and will not require a ticket to participate.
Week 1 Features:
- Complete all three sets of tasks in the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Skill Timed Research to earn an encounter with Ducklett, an encounter with Flying Pikachu, a Star Piece, and more!
- If the following numbers of Trainers from the same team complete this Timed Research, the corresponding Pokémon will appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
- One million Team Instinct Trainers: Chimecho
- One million Team Mystic Trainers: Alomomola
- One million Team Valor Trainers: Chansey
- If you complete the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Skill Timed Research, you’ll earn access to the GO Fest Elite Skill Challenge, a set of difficult tasks that you can complete to earn personal bragging rights! You don’t need to complete these tasks for your Timed Research to count toward the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 unlock goals.
Week 2 Challenges - Battle Based Challenge
Get your Pokémon ready for battle before July 10, the second weekly challenge will test your battle skills!
Here are the week 2 challenges:
- Complete all three sets of tasks in the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Battle Timed Research to earn an encounter with Hitmonlee, an encounter with Absol, a Super Rocket Radar, and more!
- If the following numbers of Trainers from the same team complete their Timed Research this week, the corresponding Pokémon will appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020:
- One million Team Mystic Trainers: Alolan Grimer
- One million Team Instinct Trainers: Ferroseed
- One million Team Valor Trainers: Alolan Marowak
- If you complete the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Battle Timed Research, you’ll earn access to the GO Fest Elite Battle Challenge, a set of difficult tasks that you can complete for personal bragging rights! You don’t need to complete these tasks for your Timed Research to count toward the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 unlock goals.
On the 22nd July from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. local time, there will also be a battle-themed event.
You'll find new Shadow Pokemon during the event, too. Nidoran, Nidorina, Nidorino, Machop, Machoke, Gligar, Shuckle, Stunky and Skuntank are all up for grabs.
You'll also find Shadow Suicine!
Week 3 Challenges - Friendship-Based Challenge
This challenge will ask you to take a moment to appreciate your pals, like your Buddy Pokémon and fellow Trainers.
This challenge’s Timed Research will be available until July 22—just a few days before Pokémon GO Fest 2020 starts.
The Timed Research will be accompanied by an event that celebrates summer -Summer Style Pikachu will be appearing in the wild and hatching from Eggs, and Petilil, the Bulb Pokémon, will be making its Pokémon GO debut.
Here are the week 3 challenges:
- Complete all three sets of tasks in the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Friendship Timed Research to earn an encounter with Alolan Raichu, an encounter with Petilil, a Lucky Egg, and more!
- If the following numbers of Trainers from the same team complete their Timed Research this week, the corresponding Pokémon will appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020:
- One million Team Instinct Trainers: Togetic
- One million Team Mystic Trainers: Dratini
- One million Team Valor Trainers: Litwick
- If you complete the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Friendship Timed Research, you’ll earn access to the GO Fest Elite Friendship Challenge, a set of difficult tasks that you can complete for personal bragging rights! You don’t need to complete these tasks for your Timed Research to count toward the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 unlock goals!
Tickets go on sale on the 15th June, via the Pokemon GO shop, for $14.99.
What we do know is that, for the first time, ticket holders will be able to attend both days of this two-day event.
It can be assumed that this event will take place worldwide, especially with it being remote based.
Last year, Chicago, Dortmund and Yokohama were added to the list of destinations that trainers could participate.
The specific rewards are unknown at this time, but Niantic has promised an exciting weekend of bonuses, Pokémon encounters, and Special Research.
There will also be exciting ways to connect with other Trainers and experience other fun surprises throughout the entire summer.
All Trainers globally, regardless whether they have a Pokémon GO Fest 2020 ticket, will be able to enjoy three weeks of weekly challenges in the form of Pokémon GO Fest 2020 Timed Research lines.
By completing these Timed Research lines, Trainers will unlock additional Pokémon appearances during Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
Data Mined Challenges
- Battle, Friendship & Skill Challenges - Each will have three steps
- The Elite Challenges found
- Premier Cup Rules - Appears to be restrictions on what Pokemon can be used
- Buddy Updates - Evolving your buddy will require completing a quest
- Stickers - Explanation about what they are