The BIG throwback event in Pokemon GO is here and it's the Johto Throwback Challenge 2020!
Trainers will engage in lengthy special research quest line celebrating the iconic moments from Johto. The Throwback Challenge has seen Kanto kick things off with Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh regions at a later date.
Here's everything you need to know about Pokemon GO's Johto Throwback Challenge 2020.
Read more about the event below:
Timed Research Rewards Error - 8th May
Niantic's official support Twitter account has tweeted that the Timed Research for the Johto Throwback event is only rewarding 5 candies instead of 10.
These candies will be available to claim during the Hoenn Throwback Timed Research.
Early Release - 7th May
Niantic announced an early release of the Johto Throwback Challenge on Twitter, players can now complete the specific Johto challenges and catch region-specific Pokemon.
"Trainers, enjoy an early release of the Throwback Challenge 2020: Johto tasks, now live in the app! The additional Johto bonuses and encounters, aside from Shiny Dunsparce, will begin at the originally scheduled time."
Johto Throwback Challenge 2020 Dates And Schedule
The official announcement for the challenge has now gone live and the dates have been confirmed for the 15th May until the 22nd May.
Here's the full schedule:
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Kanto Timed Research: Friday, May 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, May 8, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. local time
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Johto Timed Research: Friday, May 8, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, May 15, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. local time
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Hoenn Timed Research: Friday, May 15, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, May 22, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. local time
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Sinnoh Timed Research: Friday, May 22, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, May 29, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. local time
- Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Special Research unlock and event - Wednesday, June 3, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, June 8, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. local time
Johto Throwback Challenge 2020 Bonuses
You can look forward to the following features and bonuses.
- Increased spawns for Pokémon originally discovered in the Johto region - in particular: Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Dunsparce, Mareep, Misdreavus, Pikachu, Skarmory, Swinub
- Pokémon originally discovered in the Johto region will also be available to battle in raids
- The following Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs: Chinchou, Yanma, Girafarig, Pineco, Dunsparce, Gligar, Shuckle, Skarmory, and Phanpy.
- Pikachu wearing Umbreon hats will be appearing in the wild!
- Shiny Dunsparce!
- Event-exclusive Field Research tasks will reward encounters with Pokémon originally discovered in the Johto region.
- 2× Catch Stardust and 2× Raid Stardust bonuses will be active.
Johto Throwback Challenge 2020 Field Research
Here are the field research objectives and rewards for the Johto throwback event:
- Earn a heart with your buddy (Bayleef)
- Play with your buddy (Totodile)
- Make 3 Curveball Throws (Noctowl)
- Catch 3 Normal-type Pokemon (Dunsparce)
- Use 5 berries to help catch Pokemon (Pineco)
- Catch 3 Fire-type Pokemon (Quilava)
- Hatch an Egg (Phanpy)
Johto Throwback Challenge 2020 Raid Bosses
- Raichu (Alola)
- Giratina (Altered)
Johto Throwback Challenge 2020 Quests And Rewards
In total, there are 36 quests to complete during the Throwback Challenge, 9 per region and each will reward you for your efforts.
Here are the Johto challenges:
- Catch 3 grass, water or fire type Pokemon (10 Pokeballs)
- Send a Gift (Dunsparce)
- Catch a Flying-type (500 Stardust)
Group rewards - 1 Silver Pinap, 2 Golden Razz Berry, Xatu encounter
- Give your buddy 3 treats (5 Razz Berry)
- Play with your buddy (Spinarak)
- Catch a Bug-type (500 Stardust)
Group rewards - 2 Silver Pinap Berry, 1 Golden Razz Berry, Pineco encounter
- Make 3 Great Throws (1 Charged TM)
- Hatch an Egg (Snubbull)
- Catch a Normal-type (500 Stardust)
Group rewards - 1 Silver Pinap Berry, 2 Golden Razz Berry, Miltank encounter
- Catch 5 different species of Pokémon (10 Great Balls)
- Evolve a Pokémon (Sudowoodo)
- Catch a Ghost-type (500 Stardust)
Group rewards - 2 Silver Pinap Berry, 1 Golden Razz Berry, Misdreavus encounter
- Take a Snapshot of your Buddy (Shuckle)
- Make 4 Nice Curveball Throws (Mantine)
- Catch a Fighting-type (500 Stardust)
Group rewards - 1 Silver Pinap Berry, 2 Golden Razz Berry, Hitmontop encounter
- Catch an Electric-type (1 Incense)
- Power up a Pokémon 3 times (Mareep)
- Catch a Steel-type (500 Stardust)
Group rewards - 2 Silver Pinap Berry, 1 Golden Razz Berry, Skarmory encounter
- Evolve a Pokemon (Kings Rock)
- Catch a Water-type (Gligar)
- Catch an Ice-type (500 Stardust)
Group rewards - 1 Silver Pinap Berry, 2 Golden Razz Berry, Piloswine encounter
- Take a Snapshot of Ice-type Pokemon (Dragon Scale)
- Battle another Trainer (10 Ultra Balls)
- Power up a Pokémon 6 times (500 Stardust)
- Claim Reward (3000 XP)
- Claim Reward (3000 XP)
- Claim Reward (3000 XP)
Group rewards - 5 Rare Candy, Ho-Oh encounter with exclusive move Earthquake