Animal Crossing: New Horizons has landed, and many players have worked out one scary fact: Tarantulas are worth absolute bank.
Selling for 8,000 Bells apiece (that's more than a Nintendo Switch) they're a worthy investment. However, they have a dangerous bite to them, and are incredibly rare finds.
As such, players have been looking for and sometimes stumbling across islands full of the critters. There are a few ways of doing this and a couple of tips for actually catching the critters once you find them.
Follow our tips, find the spiders, earn cash. Easy, right?
Keep up to date with everything Animal Crossing by watching below!
Finding Tarantula Island
The easiest way of finding Tarantula Island is by flying there directly. You can do this by purchasing a Nook Miles Ticket for 2,000 Nook Miles and cashing it in at the airport.
This takes you to a random deserted island, which could be Tarantula Island! You'll usually know it from the little moat of water it has, and the spiders everywhere.
However, it is entirely random whether you land there, and the chances don't seem great. So, we worked out how to create your own Tarantula Island from here.
Making Your Own Tarantula Island
Once you've arrived on a deserted island - tarantula-filled or not - follow these steps to bring the Tarantulas to you.
- First off, it needs to be after 7pm for the Tarantulas to appear.
- Next, eat a bunch of fruit. Just the stuff you find on the island should be plenty, two or three pieces.
- Now, get your tools out and clear everything from the island. Everything. Smash rocks with a spade or axe (the fruit allows you to do this). Chop down trees with an axe and then dig their stumps up with your spade. Make sure to use your ladder and get everything from the higher areas. Pick all the flowers and weeds. The lot.
- Now, catch all the bugs. Everything. Centipedes, Ladybirds, Man-Faced Stink Bugs, the lot.
- Then, drop all your resources on the beach. This includes all your wood and anything collected on the island. That's when they come. The Tarantulas.
Now the deserted island is full of Tarantulas, you just have to catch them, and avoid getting bitten. The easiest way of catching Tarantulas is to sneak upon them. This is quite simple once you get the hang of it if you follow our steps:
- Equip your net and hold A, readying it.
- Walk towards the Tarantula.
- When it raises its front legs, stop in your tracks.
- Only move again - slowly - when it lowers its legs.
- Take a couple of steps and stop again when it raises its legs.
- Repeat until it is in range of your net, and let go of the A button to swipe - only when its legs are down.
- Congratulations - you've (hopefully) caught your first eight-eyed critter!
However, another way people have had success is by digging a barrier of holes, as Tarantulas can't pass through them; just watch that they don't yeet themselves into the water, they'll drown and you won't be able to capture them.
The last thing to do is to fill your pockets with Tarantulas and sell them to Tommy and Timmy! Although I dread to think what Tom Nook will think when he walks in and finds they've bought 30 Tarantulas from you... that's their problem I guess.