The trailer has officially dropped and we can confirm it arrives on the 10th March 2020!
We've got everything you need to know about the Modern Warfare Battle Royale right here.
Bookmark this page and check back DAILY for the latest news and information.
NOW WATCH OUR MODERN WARFARE GUN GUIDES TO IMPROVE YOUR MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE
You can quickly jump to sections of the article by clicking the link below:
- Latest News
- Release Date
- What Is It? (Classified/Warzone)
- Weapons And Loot
- Buy Stations
- Map And Locations
- Killstreaks (Nuke)
- Playlists And Modes
- Options And Rules
- Battle Pass
- Easter Eggs
- Is It Free To Play?
Latest Battle Royale News
Stay up to date with the latest and oldest news in our live countdown blog here.
Call of Duty Confirm Season 3 Date - 3rd April
Call of Duty's Twitter has confirmed that Season 3 will launch on the 8th April 2020!
Warzone Playlist Leaks - 27th March 23:00 GMT
We should caution that these playlists could just be for testing right now, and there’s no indication of possible release dates for these playlists.
Here’s a list of leaked playlists from the game files:
- Battle Royale Duos (Teams of Two. Loot and Kill. Last team standing wins.)
- Battle Royale Quads (Teams of Four. Loot and Kill. Last team standing wins.)
- Battle Royale High Action (Loot and Kill. The Gas closes in faster, so get moving.)
- Battle Royale Shotty Snipers (Shotguns and Snipers only. Near? Far? Wherever…BR. There are no Loadout drops.)
- Battle Royale One Shot (Battle Royale with 1-shot Headshots and no loadout drops.)
- Realism Battle Royale
- Hardcore Battle Royale
Warzone breaks Apex Legends Record - 14th March
Apex Legends had an incredible 2.5 million players within the first 24 hours of it releasing.
Warzone has dominated this by more than doubling it with 6 million players within 24 hours of release.
200 Players Would Mean Removal Of Vehicles and a Slower Game? - 13th March
According to prolific COD data miner @TheGamingRevo2, changing the player cap to 200 would mean slower gameplay and the need to remove vehicles.
"200 players is working in Warzone but it doesn’t play as well, that’s why it’s only 150 players. If they were to have 200 players they’d have to remove vehicles or something to slow down the gameplay."
Solos, Duos, and Quads Coming Soon? - 13th March
Infinity Ward has confirmed that they do plan to experiment with different team sizes in Call of Duty: Warzone as they continue to add more support for features and new content to the newly launched free to play game.
Call of Duty: Warzone: Soon To Support 200 Player Games - 12th March
Infinity Ward Studio Head Patrick Kelly had an interview with USA Today, click here to find out what he had to say about 200 player games.
Warzone Is Now LIVE For EVERYONE - 10th March
Call of Duty: Warzone is now available for everyone!
Player Count Glitch - 10th March
A new player count glitch seems to have arisen from what seems to be a pretty flawless start to the Warzone mode.
If a lobby isn't full, the game will not start.
Patch 1.17 Live - 10th March
A new patch update has gone live for Modern Warfare, bringing with it Call of Duty: Warzone, a big buff to the 725, Search and Rescue and a new Shotgun - the VLK Rogue.
When Is Call of Duty: Warzone?
The Modern Warfare Battle Royale, also known as Call of Duty: Warzone, launch on the 10th March at 3pm GMT!
Those who own Modern Warfare can play it from their game, those who do not own it can download it three hours later at 7pm GMT.
As Treyarch are now taking over the development of COD 2020, it's unlikely that the new game will feature a Battle Royale mode.
We assume this is due to time constraints, so this is aimed to exist for the long haul rather than the rest of the Modern Warfare season.
The download will be between 15-22GB big if you own Modern Warfare and will be 83-101GB if you do not own it.
Here is the official Call of Duty Warzone trailer:
Here is the Season 2 teaser trailer that launched at the beginning of the new season.
What Is Warzone?
Warzone takes place in Verdansk, an expansive city with multiple named zones and well over 300 points of interest.
Each zone features distinct landmarks like the Gorengard Lumber Yard or the Gora Dam; the zones take place across different environment types like cities and rural areas for unique engagements.
Change up your drop location in each match to get a better lay of the land and take advantage of what Verdansk has to offer.
Here are some other gameplay mechanics you can expect to find:
- Players have the ability to mark Vehicles, Locations, Items, Enemies, and Dangerous Locations.
- Altitude meter shows how fast you drop - you can cancel parachuting.
- The Jump Master of a Squad can select a deployment point prior to the match start.
- If the Jump Master chooses to discard the role, any player can become it.
- Players who are not the Jump Master have the ability to jump separately from the team, if you detach from the Jump Master, you will not drop in proximity to your loadout bag.
- Rarities: White, Green, Blue, Purple, Gold.
- Limited inventory space.
- Requisition Airdrop Timer: 30s.
- All Weapons, Attachments, Equipment, Field Upgrades*, and Killstreaks* from Multiplayer.
- Custom Classes will be added including perks and killstreaks.
- Gas Mask, Vests, Helmets, Bandages, Ammo, Backpacks, Portable Defibrillator, and Plunder.
- Cannot hold two of the same weapon.
- Attachments which are incompatible with the current weapon will be placed in the Backpack
- Supply Crates contain potentially valuable equipment or items
- Some loot items such as medical, alcohol, armor and plunder (in-game cash).
- Will feature multiplayer weapons in the Battle Royale Mode.
- Supposedly 35 locations to visit and many will be locations from the spec ops mode, as well as past maps and campaign missions.
- Operators will be included.
- The map is surrounded by collapsing Radioactive ash.
- When downed and having a pistol, you will go into last stand. Upon killing an enemy in last stand, you will be revived.
- HUD shows gunfire
- The tactical map shows circle timer and Gulag Matches
- Spawn with pistol
- Players can ping locations
Check out our guides for Call of Duty: Warzone:
- Warzone Tips And Tricks
- Weapon Tier List
- How To Download
- How To Level Up Battle Pass Quickly
- The Gulag Tips & Tricks
- Stadium Guide
Plunder is one of the two modes in Warzone, the other being the standard Battle Royale.
In Plunder, the race is on to collect the most in-match Cash by looting across the map, taking down enemies to steal their Cash, and completing in-match Contracts.
Players will be able to create drop kits to get a full loadout equipped with perks, just as you would in the regular multiplayer.
Drop kits are the only way to get perks in Call of Duty: Warzone.
Weapons And Loot
Every player spawns with a pistol at the start of a game.
Weapon looting is guns only, weapons will not feature any attachments unless obtained in supply drops.
Ammo has been simplified to weapon category rather than type (e.g. assault rifle ammo, LMG ammo).
Loot will simply drop after killing a player, it will not appear in a bag like Blackout.
Loot will come in different rarities:
- WHITE = COMMON
- GREEN = UNCOMMON
- BLUE = RARE
- PURPLE = EPIC
- ORANGE = LEGENDARY
- RED = CUSTOM, NOT USED IN LOOT (USED FOR DROPS)
- GOLD = UNKNOWN, POSSIBLY AIRDROP ITEMS?
They'll include all weapons, attachments, equipment, field upgrades, and even kill streaks from Multiplayer, but will also feature Battle Royale-only items and upgrades, such as backpacks to increase your limited storage space, and Plunder as discussed above.
Lethals such as claymores, mines and grenades return.
In Battle Royale where collecting in-match Cash isn’t the objective, Cash can be used to procure beneficial items at Buy Stations. Denoted on the Tac-Map with a shopping cart icon, head to a Buy Station to spend your in-match Cash.
For varying prices, you can purchase Killstreaks, Redeploy Tokens to bring back fallen teammates, Self-Revive Kits, and more.
In Plunder, Buy Stations hold all of these items to help you gain an advantage over other teams, plus a unique game mode item – the Cash Deposit Balloon.
Want to securely deposit your in-match Cash, away from the threat of enemy teams trying to kill and steal? Get a Cash Deposit Ballon, a portable Field Upgrade, that allows you to deposit Cash, from anywhere.
Armor will comprise of 3 standard plates, although a player can carry 5 at one time.
It seems to be an almost instant equip, rather than Blackout's holding down of a button to repair.
Map And Locations
Here is a look at the full map, which has been confirmed in the most recent leaked gameplay footage.
The new map will include the following locations:
- TV Station
- Military Base
- Promenade East
- Promenade West
- Storage Town
Confirmed COD Map Locations
- Overgrown (COD 4)
- Terminal (MW2)
- Killhouse (COD 4)
- Scrapyard (MW2)
- Broadcast (COD4)
- Vacant (MW)
- Atlas Superstore (MW)
- Aniyah Palace (MW)
- Karst River Quarry (MW)
- Armistice Training Facility (MW)
- Gulag (MW)
As with other Modern Warfare modes, you have access to a range of Battle Royale specific Perks to customize your game plan.
It's likely many will be lifted from the multiplayer mode, with a few new ones to suit the gameplay experience.
From the Reddit thread:
- High Alert - Grants vision when an enemy looks at you from outside of your FoV.
- Spotter - Enemy equipment within a small radius is visible and highlighted to you, even through walls.
- Tracker - Enemies leave footprints as they move, and increased crouch movement speed.
- Stalker - Faster movement while aiming down sight.
- Marksman - Allows you to identify enemies from farther away by showing their names at a greater distance.
- Sleight of Hand - Reload your weapons 50% faster than normal.
- Armorer - You use armor plates 20% faster, and they supply 10% more armor.
- Artisan Tastes - Weapons you pick up have a chance to automatically upgrade.
- Deep Pockets - Any usable equipment you pick up has an extra use.
- Grenadier - Any throwable equipment you pick up has an extra use.
- Healer - Your medic items continue to heal for an additional 25% of their value over the next 20 seconds.
- Thief - When you Harvest, generate 20% more plunder.
- Ammo Scavenger - Enemies you kill always drop some ammunition.
- Armor Scavenger - Enemies you kill always drop some armor plates.
- Medic Scavenger - Enemies you kill always drop some medic items.
- Plunder Scavenger - Enemies you kill always drop some Plunder.
- Bounty Hunter - If you kill someone with more Perks than you, gain enough points to match them, and then you can replace this perk.
- Ghost - You are invisible to drones and sensors.
- Sneaky - Your Footsteps are invisible, and enemies are not warned when you track them.
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal - Explosive Resistance, and you can capture enemy claymores and mines.
Based on this picture from TheGamingRevolution, you can also customise your loadout.
Killstreaks are activated using Lethal and Tactical buttons.
- Juggernauts cannot pick up Loot
- UAV Satellite Trucks must be charged before scanning an area. Once used, they will remain on cooldown for some time before coming back online.
- Mobile Armory: Retrieve loadouts, can only be used once per activation
- Armory Kiosk
It's also been rumoured that a nuke killstreak, however, Infinity Ward have confirmed that there is no nuke.
Missions And Contracts
Contracts are objective oriented tasks players can find and activate across Verdansk. A squad can activate one Contract at a time and completing it rewards you in-match Cash and other loot items.
Multiple types of Contracts exist including Scavenger Contracts where you have to find and open a series of Supply Boxes and Recon Contacts where you must secure one location, similar to Call of Duty’s Domination mode.
In addition to in-match Cash, Contracts can give you special rewards like the ability to see the next circle collapse location before it starts to close.
Only one Mission can be active for a Squad at a time. When a Mission is started or completed, the entire Squad will be notified by an on-screen message.
Here are some of the Mission Types:
- Timed Run
- Assassination (Eliminate specific player)
- Scavenger Hunt (Collect Scavenger Crates)
- Domination (Capture Domination Point)
- Random (Random Mission)
- If no Bounty is available for the Assassination Mission, Consolation Plunder will be awarded.
Unlike the core Blackout mode, there is the ability to respawn via Respawn Tokens.
These tokens will allow players to come back once they have been perished, but are disabled for the player after they have used them; they can also be looted.
The player can also enter the Gulag queue for a chance to win a 1v1 and respawn into the match (similar to Gunfight).
After a certain point in the match, the Gulag will no longer be available and respawns will be prevented.
The confirmed vehicles are:
- ATV - two-seater, provides minimal protection, good at offroading, fast.
- SUV - four-seater, provides good protection, medium speed, not ideal for off-roading.
- Helicopter - four-seater, decent coverage, flies.
- Cargo Truck - holds the squad plus equipment, excellent protection, not for off-roading, slowest.
- Tactical Rover - four-seater, provides minimal protection, solidly fast, solid at off-roading.
Rather than simply losing as soon as you're slain, you'll have the opportunity to engage in either one-on-one fights in the Gulag section of the map to rejoin the fight, or a Jail Break event happens that releases everybody currently stuck waiting for a chance to rejoin.
Note that the Gulag will eventually shut down as the game progresses, preventing respawns later in around.
In this Gulag, players can watch on and throw rocks at players that will stun them - very handy if you happen to be in there with a teammate who can call out and throw rocks.
Classes are randomised just like in Gunfight.
Playlists And Modes
It's confirmed that trios will be available at launch, rather than quads.
Players can load in solo, as a two or as a trio.
There will be two modes - standard Warzone and a Plunder mode (a cash-based version).
Options And Rules
According to data miners, these are the options available when playing the Modern Warfare Battle Royale
- Player Count: 150 (may become 200 later)
- Playlists: Solo (1), Duos (2), and Squads (4)
- End-Game Radar: On
- Infiltration Option: C130
- Pre-Game Lobby Free-for-All: On
- Post-Game Exfiltration: Off
- Max Health: 100 (regeneration is on)
- Last Stand Health: 100
- Last Stand Revive Health: 30
- Last Stand Timer: 60s
- Last Stand Revive Time: 7s
- Friendly Fire Punish Limit: 2
- Gulag: On
- Infiltration Options: C130, Convoy, Blackhawk (Private Match)
- Starting Weapon: Fists, G21 Pistol, MP5, M4A1, Knife (Private Match)
- Enable BR Loot: Turns on loot on supported maps. (Private Match)
- Circle Star Size Override: Size of the damage circle at map start. Default match starts with no circle. Use this for smaller matches. (Private Match)
- Circle Damage Multiplier (Private Match)
It appears that the battle pass in Modern Warfare is not just exclusive to the multiplayer mode and will be added to the battle royale!
It has been confirmed that there will be unified progression and Battle Pass items will carry over to Warzone.
For players who do not own the full version of Modern Warfare, all progress and items they’ve earned in Warzone will be rewarded across Multiplayer and Special Ops in Modern Warfare, should they ever choose to purchase it.
There are no level caps in Warzone.
The new mode will feature plenty of easter eggs, for example in Terminal you can find the Mile High Club mission from COD 4 playing on TV screens.
Is Call of Duty: Warzone Free To Play?
Yes, the game is free to play, you do not need to own Modern Warfare to play the new game mode.
It will be available to download on the PlayStation marketplace, Xbox store and the Battle.net client.
Yes, Call of Duty: Warzone will allow cross-platform play and support save progression across different platforms.
No official information has been revealed about any split-screen features, but it's likely it will feature a split-screen feature.
Black Ops 4's Blackout featured split-screen and it would be a big loss to remove this; especially as Modern Warfare features a few split-screen options.