If you're new to Apex Legends looking to get good fast, no worries we've got you covered.
There's a lot that goes into the game and it may not be simple.
Below you can find some of the best legends to start out with, as well as guns and general tips and tricks.
Keep reading to find out more!
You can read about the following topics by clicking the link:
Best Beginner Legends
Below you can find the legends that will be unlocked when you first start out in Apex Legends.
We've also put them in order from easiest to hardest to play.
Each legend has a Tactical, Passive and Ultimate ability.
Passive abilities are self-explanatory and happen naturally/passively.
Tacticals will be your most used ability and have varying cooldowns and can be activated pressing Q (PC), LB (Xbox), L1 (PS).
Ultimate abilities are your strongest abilities and have a much longer cooldown than Tacticals, you can using Ultimate Accelarants to speed up the process.
Activate your Ultimate by pressing Z (PC), LB + RB (Xbox), L1 + R1 (PS).
Bloodhound is many beginner player's first choice, they were mine and many of my friends' too.
Their Passive ability is super useful and in general, all of their abilities are easy to pick up and understand.
Overall I'd say try out Bloodhound first, if you don't like their play style, give Bangalore a try.
- Tactical Ability - Eye of the Allfather
- Briefly reveal enemies, traps, and clues throughout all structures in front of you.
- Passive Ability - Tracker
- "Foes leave behind clues for you to find."
- Ultimate Ability - Beast of the Hunt
- "Transform into the ultimate hunter. Enhances your senses, allowing you to see cold tracks and move faster."
Bangalore, next up on the list is our military queen.
She's a tough cookie and has some great abilities which can aid your team in cover.
Her smoke launcher Tactical is useful when trying to revive a teammate or fleeing battle without an enemy being able to pinpoint you.
Rolling Thunder, her ultimate can also be pretty OP when used in close encounters or an environment and enemy can't get away from.
- Tactical Ability - Smoke Launcher
- "Fire a high-velocity smoke canister that explodes into a smoke wall on impact."
- Passive Ability - Double Time
- "Taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster for a brief time."
- Ultimate Ability - Rolling Thunder
- "Call in an artillery strike that slowly creeps across the landscape."
You may be wondering why Pathfinder is third on the list.
This is because although may choose him as their beginner legend, it's pretty hard to actually efficiently use his Tactical.
Some players will use it and get caught on objects or grapple straight into a fight.
Overall he's a solid choice if you're not interested in Bangalore or Bloodhound.
- Tactical Ability - Grappling Hook
- "Grapple to get to out-of-reach places quickly."
- Passive Ability - Insider Knowledge
- "Scan a survey beacon to reduce the cooldown of Zipline Gun."
- Ultimate Ability - Zipline Gun
- "Create a zipline for everyone to use."
- Tactical Ability - Dome of Protection
- "Throw down a dome-shield that blocks (allies and enemies) attacks for 12 seconds. Healing items are used 15% faster within the dome."
- Passive Ability - Gun Shield
- "Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire."
- Ultimate Ability - Defensive Bombardment
- "Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a position you mark with smoke."
I would likely place Lifeline a lot higher in the beginner ranks if it wasn't for how heavily her teammates can rely on her at times.
As Lifeline there will be plenty of times you'll find both your teammates downed and you'll need to use your Passive ability as well as physically reviving a teammate.
If you're used to supporting roles in other games or feel you've grasped her quickly, shes a great choice.
Also, feel free to ping a Mozambique to your teammates every so often, it's a running joke in the community.
- Tactical Ability - D.O.C. Heal Drone
- "The Drone of Compassion (D.O.C.) will automatically heal those near it over time."
- Passive Ability - Combat Medic
- "Deploy D.O.C to revive teammates. D.O.C will deploy a shield and revive Lifeline's teammate, leaving Lifeline free to defend or revive someone else."
- Ultimate Ability - Care Package
- "Call in a drop pod full of high-quality defensive gear."
You may be drawn to Wraith when starting the game but take a second to think about it.
Wraith is a great choice later in the game when you have a better understanding and many pro players use her.
Although she can be hard to grasp and use effectively when starting out.
On the plus side, she can be super handy when trying to get out of a deadly scenario.
- Tactical Ability - Into the Void
- "Reposition quickly through the safety of "void" space, avoiding all damage."
- Passive Ability - Voices from the Void
- "You hear a voice when danger approaches. As far as you can tell, it's on your side."
- Ultimate Ability - Dimensional Rift
- "Link two locations with portals for 60 seconds."
Best Beginner Guns
Overall to find the best beginner gun for you, you should head to the firing range and try a bunch of them out.
If you'd rather get suggestions, no worries, we've got some.
We'll give a beginner suggestion for each gun type below!
Personally, I prefer the R-301 when it comes to ARs thought the Flatline has a higher damage output.
The R-301 is quite nice for handling and overall is a nice gun if you have decent aim.
The Flatline has higher damage and so hits harder, be sure to get a scope on it as the iron sights aren't great.
Sub Machine Guns
The R-99, my favourite gun, just like many others.
This gun is loved by the community and it was made regular loot again in Season 7.
It's an absolute firecracker though this also means you could end up spraying all your ammo.
Be sure to be stocked up.
Light Machine Guns
The Spitfire is a solid choice with a huge mag and a decent damage output.
Although be sure to have ALOT of heavy ammo because if you start spraying bullets you'll run out quick.
Triple Take/Charge Rifle
The Charge Rifle is likely the easiest sniper to use with a shot that charges but also does damage.
A bit hard to explain but head in-game and see for yourself!
If you don't like the Charge Rifle then try the Triple Take.
It fires 3 shots at once and can be forgiving if you're slightly off with aiming.
Mastiff Shotgun/Eva 8 Auto
The Mastiff has been loved by many since it came to Apex Legends.
Land the hand correctly and it can do insane damage, though it can be a little difficult at times.
For that reason I've included the Eva 8 Auto too, it's pretty weak damage wise but has less recoil and easier for new players to use.
Pistols are pretty useless in general but personally, I'd pick the RE-45 Auto.
This is because it's automatic so you don't have to rely on aim as heavily.
If you're a solid shot give the P2020 ago, maybe even the Wingman (described as one of the hardest guns to use in the game).
Beginner Tips & Tricks
There's plenty of tips you can use to get better at Apex Legends.
Use the list below to improve your gameplay!
- The first tip, play the tutorial, it's there for a reason!
- Pick up everything you can when you land, you can drop stuff you don't want later but you need to be ready to fight.
- Mix and match guns to find what suits you.
- Learn how to play at least 3 legends well, preferably with different roles e.g. Lifeline (Support), Gibraltar (Defensive) and Bangalore (Offensive).
- Use the ping system, it is essential for communication if you arent using your mic.
- Keep an eye on the ring, make sure to keep a safe distance.
- Use your abilities, you may forget to do so as you aren't used to it but they have their purposes.
- Keep track of how many squads are left in the top right corner.
- The countdown on the left of your screen will let you know when the ring will begin to close into its next phase.
- Blue circles on the map at the start have high tier loot but will likely be a fight to the death.
- You can climb up walls, use doors and more structures to get yourself a higher advantage point.
- Use the big red balloons to launch yourself into the sky, you'll get around the map much faster.
- Some character may seem slower but they're actually all the same speed.
- NO FALL DAMAGE!
- Smash open doors with a melee attack if you enemy won't let you open it while they heal inside.
- Hover over your gun and ping it in your inventory to tell your teammates what ammo type you need.
- Hover over any attachments you need to let your teammates know.
- Practice makes perfect, the only way to get better at games like Apex Legends is to keep playing them and use videos, forums and more to help you.