A new free Animal Crossing: New Horizons update is rolling out on Nintendo Switch right now, bringing the game up to version 1.9
As with any update in the game, you need to be updated to Version 1.9 to play online multiplayer with other players.
Players will also be unable to access other network features unless they update.
For the time being, no official patch notes have been shared by Nintendo (UPDATE: 1.9 Patch Notes added further down). Neither from Nintendo's Japanese website (who normally have them first) or Nintendo of America.
For now, here's a quick reminder of the new features introduced today:
- New Sanrio-themed residents and items are here
- Upgrade your Custom Design app
- Free First-Anniversary Cake
- New seasonal items available
- A new exclusive item for Nintendo Switch Online members
- Bunny Day returns
- New Animal Crossing: New Horizons Island Tour Creator
The new update comes shortly after it was announced that Animal Crossing: New Horizons has become the fastest-selling Nintendo game ever launched in Europe.
Since its release on 20th March 2020, over 7 million copies of the game have been sold across the continent.
More than one-third of the 20 million-plus Nintendo Switch owners in Europe have now started their own deserted island getaway in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, with more players joining all the time.
Animal Crossing New Horizons Update 1.9 Patch Notes
Ver. 1.9.0 [2021.3.18]
If the version notation on the upper right of the software title screen is “Ver. 1.8.0”, it has been updated.
- Seasonal event (Easter) has been updated.
- Added support for amiibo card [Sanrio Characters Collaboration].
- The following new mileage redemption items have been added to Tanuport. My Design PRO Editor + (App that increases my design storage frame and new patterns)
- My Design Showcase (App that allows you to access the showcase from the My Design app)
- In addition, the following elements have been added. Seasonal raccoon shopping items
- Nintendo Switch Online subscription privilege item
- From Ver. 1.4.0, fixed the problem that the transformation was not released when the item was picked up and replaced with the stick while the pocket was full while transforming with the stick.
- From Ver. 1.7.0, fixed the bug that it was possible to dig the ground that could not be dug originally by canceling after performing “Imagine” with any kit.
- In addition, we have made adjustments and fixed bugs so that you can play the game comfortably.
We shall update this article with the official English patch notes from Nintendo of America as soon as they’re made available.